Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2020
Had a fun three day weekend of ball.

Took much of the advice here regarding being absolutely ready when one foot stepped in the box, faking confidence even if it wasn't true, and simply breathing.

She was still hesitant, but had only one serious goal, to absolutely not look at strike 3. Orginally it was to get forward in position to take her best swing, but after a very close encounter and walk in her first at bat, we adjusted. Threw mechanics to the wayside...as she finds more and more courage, I think they will evolve more towards her training.

She did accomplished it; she had one K over six games, and it was going down swinging. There were a couple walks drawn that had some very nice hittable strikes within though.

Hit a few OK, was on base more than not, enticed a pickle, played excellent defense at SS and 2b (throwing needs a ton of work lol), her team had a lot of fun, and she came home with a fancy little ring.

Please disregard the music, this evolved into a batting practice song at home, so I included it for the memory.

Dec 12, 2020
Here's a few at bats, in their entirety. Hope to not bore anyone, again just to get a vibe.

In my mind, most of it is as simple as conquering her fear, until then she's in a weird spot. It's obvious she is still hesitant, and waiting to be safe.

Still open to suggestions (@TDS, I did mention your suggestion to start frontside heavy, but she shot me down). I think while she is on deck, and each time she sees a pitch, I may ask her to simply rehearse a focused stride, shifting her COM. Just so she is conscious of it. Without getting forward she now doesn't "get back" and finds herself in a weird, weak, rushed state of limbo.

All that being said, I am very proud. She was too, and I do notice a little confidence growing.

Nov 18, 2015
We watched the previous video and she mentioned she was getting no stretch moving forward, so she was trying that.
I can't decide how to interpret her response:
a) she's 10U, knows what stretch is, and can recognize when she's NOT doing it? Leave her alone, she'll be fine; or
b) she's 10U, and if she's already thinking about her stretch / coil during her swing, she may be thinking TOO much - clearing her mind of everything but "see ball, hit ball" could help reset things.
(typical disclaimer - I haven't seen the latest vids)

Dec 12, 2020
I can't decide how to interpret her response:
a) she's 10U, knows what stretch is, and can recognize when she's NOT doing it? Leave her alone, she'll be fine; or
b) she's 10U, and if she's already thinking about her stretch / coil during her swing, she may be thinking TOO much - clearing her mind of everything but "see ball, hit ball" could help reset things.
(typical disclaimer - I haven't seen the latest vids)

Right now we are certainly at "see the ball, hit the ball" especially at gametime, though I feel she has to be conscious of getting to a position to launch too..

I don't think she knows exactly what particular stretching she should feel (or should I say how it should feel) (particular obliques, back, etc), she does however have a good idea, and definitely can point it out afterwards on video, if her hands are staying back & forearm parallel with the ground when she gets her front foot down, and even if the hip has a late coil too(this is kinda new). So not necessarily stretch in this forums technical understanding, but seeing it artificially, per say.

Those previous two videos of her little sister pitching to her, the first she saw herself starting to fire her swing as her foot would come down (elbow slotting, hands lowering), the 2nd she tried to pull back simultaneously as her body went forward.

Nov 16, 2017
Here's a few at bats, in their entirety. Hope to not bore anyone, again just to get a vibe.

In my mind, most of it is as simple as conquering her fear, until then she's in a weird spot. It's obvious she is still hesitant, and waiting to be safe.

Still open to suggestions (@TDS, I did mention your suggestion to start frontside heavy, but she shot me down). I think while she is on deck, and each time she sees a pitch, I may ask her to simply rehearse a focused stride, shifting her COM. Just so she is conscious of it. Without getting forward she now doesn't "get back" and finds herself in a weird, weak, rushed state of limbo.

All that being said, I am very proud. She was too, and I do notice a little confidence growing.

So the first thing that I see is that at toe touch her front shoulder is already elevated. It should be down toward second base. This is a super common if not expected flaw. My daughter is still fighting it at 14YO. The Josh Donaldson drill where he takes two pitches to check his launch position and then blast the third is a great drill. Also google Miguel Cabrera launch position. Otherwise, she looks very athletic and on her way to good things!!

Feb 25, 2020
So the first thing that I see is that at toe touch her front shoulder is already elevated. It should be down toward second base. This is a super common if not expected flaw. My daughter is still fighting it at 14YO. The Josh Donaldson drill where he takes two pitches to check his launch position and then blast the third is a great drill. Also google Miguel Cabrera launch position. Otherwise, she looks very athletic and on her way to good things!!

Thats one of many reasons this style on deck/practice swing/tee work is good imo.

Screenshot_20210423-221521.png

Dec 12, 2020
Thanks! She's conscious of it, and does an OK job unless she's facing a live arm. We need a lot of reps, though I'm pretty encouraged with her early progress.

Feb 25, 2020
You have mentioned this to me a few times, notice her on deck is quite the opposite, not by design...We have worked it some with the low tee.

Just watching her run into the box and do her thing you can tell she is a player.

I'll be honest, I think you led her the wrong way doing the HR derby off the tee a few months ago.(with the construction fence). Happens every year at the allstar break in the MLB.

She has a great swing. Doesnt drag it(huge). She just tries to hit it in the air(drops the rear shoulder) 0 degree line drives in practice, feeling like trout looks in those swings, would be the script IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812