Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2020
Well, if she didn't swing, lil sis would have been vocal about it

I wish it was my yard, just a nice patch of common ground across the street. Actually, I think that makes it a little better.

Aug 20, 2017
Before she steps in the box tell her to BREATH! Deep in deep out. This will relax her anxiety some. Practice it. Girls get so nervous they forget to breath. Breath between every pitch when she steps out. Get oxygen in the body! You need to be able to see her breath. I’ve got cell on the wristband that says BREATH

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
A little bit of progress this evening.

Her little sister was a trooper and pitched to her this evening. Beaned her twice, one that kept her down a min, on purpose we'll never know... She threw about 30% strikes, but they both wanted to keep going, even through the lulls. We probably doubled the amount of pitches she has seen this year, quantity not quality for the time being.

She was focusing on her forward move, but was still hesitant, and mechanically fell apart. But she finally swung, and she enjoyed it.

Focusing on the forward move (beat the pitcher to her position of leverage) will allow for her to take control of her AB. It's all about commitment which is a vulnerable position.

2KTuQZA.gif

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
A little bit of progress this evening.

Her little sister was a trooper and pitched to her this evening. Beaned her twice, one that kept her down a min, on purpose we'll never know... She threw about 30% strikes, but they both wanted to keep going, even through the lulls. We probably doubled the amount of pitches she has seen this year, quantity not quality for the time being.

She was focusing on her forward move, but was still hesitant, and mechanically fell apart. But she finally swung, and she enjoyed it.

Fantastic Job! Working on the forward move, against a live ball. that's the kind of practice she needs, to overcome the fear. The bold in your post says all you need to know IMO. She was hesitant, which means she wasn't committing, But then she finally did and then drove the ball!

By the way how far away is she pitching from?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020
Fantastic Job! Working on the forward move, against a live ball. that's the kind of practice she needs, to overcome the fear. The bold in your post says all you need to know IMO. She was hesitant, which means she wasn't committing, But then she finally did and then drove the ball!

By the way how far away is she pitching from?
About 33 ft. It was an unofficial distance based on my superb skill measuring by steps.

The perspective is kinda strange.

Oct 2, 2017
I wanted to move her even closer, she doesn't throw too hard - another reason it prob seems like 45 lol
My suggestion would not be to move the pitcher closer. Do a 3 plate drill. Have 3 plates or cones and the batter moves closer. I found this really helpful for younger players. 1 is gradually decreases the reaction time equal to a faster pitcher. 2 I think its a good visual. because they can see the distance is shorter, so they can equate that with less time to get the forward move going properly. So they must start earlier to match release still using their normal sequence tempo. You can even do it front toss or machine.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
My suggestion would not be to move the pitcher closer. Do a 3 plate drill. Have 3 plates or cones and the batter moves closer. I found this really helpful for younger players. 1 is gradually decreases the reaction time equal to a faster pitcher. 2 I think its a good visual. because they can see the distance is shorter, so they can equate that with less time to get the forward move going properly. So they must start earlier to match release still using their normal sequence tempo. You can even do it front toss or machine.

vqqSNKy.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee