Susie Parra Arizona vs Lisa Fernandez Ucla 1993 CWS final game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Fernandez had better mechanics than most of the players for sure which is why she was a better hitter. Still think if she played today her swing would be better.
We were thinking same thing at same time! My typing sucks though lol

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I don't think admitting that a sport you love has progressed is a bad thing...
I agree the sport has progressed.

Can you agree that people are still talking about the same things?

Here is what I know from my first-hand experience.
When pitching moved back and made the ball have more flight and created lighter bats...
with the same hitting mechanics used prior to these changes,
I stepped in the Box and rip the ball even further.

Hitting mechanics are hitting mechanics and they are not all the same. They were not all the same then and they are not all the same now. Can you agree to that?

Jun 8, 2016
Hitting mechanics are hitting mechanics and they are not all the same. They were not all the same then and they are not all the same now. Can you agree to that?
Hitting styles (setup,stride vs no stride, hand pump vs no hand pump, etc, etc) are not all the same, but there are certain things that most good hitters do that result in a barrel path which you said you liked (eg not swinging down at contact).

radness

Dec 13, 2019
@RADcatcher

Better than the rest. She scores the first run by hitting a ball in the air, over the infield.

I have no idea what kind of competition UCLA played throughout a full season in the early 90’s.

I think all of those hitters see the ball well.

The next evolution in hitting was probably from “put the ball in play” to “hit line drives” and more recently “hit the ball over the fence”. As that happened, mechanics evolved?

I’m pretty convinced the evolution of mechanics and strength training has changed the game more than the bats.
Agree

Best thing to recognize there is a lot that has to do with batting averages and strategy.

Dec 11, 2010
I bet Fernandez was so good she was in a position to disregard some of the bad advice she was getting.

I’m fighting off a cold. I’m headed back to bed, I expect you all to have this settled by the end of my nap!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I bet Fernandez was so good she was in a position to disregard some of the bad advice she was getting.

I’m fighting off a cold. I’m headed back to bed, I expect you all to have this settled by the end of my nap!
Take care!

Experience makes us better
( LOL if we're paying attention)

Am certain I was a better player after college playing in women's division.
Perhaps its success built more confidence.
The confidence helps making immediate adjustments to produce.

Apr 17, 2019
Thanks for sharing, RAD!
Everything looks so sloppy compared to what is expected now, lol.
In pitching news... that's some pretty significant brush Susie's got there.
1641226459828.png

Lisa gets a more compact whip down the backside. Still brushes though.
1641226817796.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802