super teams? or spread thin?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Chris - looks like Ill get to see Amherst for myself last weekend in May.

that tournament looks like it will be interesting.
not a lot of teams (8 max, and still looking to fill last slot *hint*, *hint*) but not a bad one in the bunch.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
I suppose it all depends on your definitions and, of course, the area you're in. I describe our 02 team as "very strong" and that's relative to our location, because it's my opinion that every player on the roster could play for almost every other team in the area. That's not in any way to disparage other teams or players. I just think each of our girls is that good. Our area's "super team" is an 03 team that was something like 85-5 last spring/summer in 10u. I'm not going out on a limb in saying they'll dominate the regional 12u competition next spring. Where we are, the pool of talented 02s is much smaller than the pool of 01s or 03s, so we actually count ourselves lucky to have been able to assemble so many talented players on a single team. It's been fun watching their chemistry develop this season and I think the group can only get stronger as the girls become more and more comfortable with one another and with their roles. As for pure daddyball teams around here, they tend not to last very long trying to play the top tournament circuit, but because there's such a large softball community, there are plenty of tournament options for teams at every level. A true rec team can play tournament ball almost every weekend if they want.

Not too many years ago, the best players would leave rec at 11-12yo, and the next tier of players would normally leave around 13-14. But now, the best players are leaving at 9-10, with the next tier leaving at 11-12. ASA's new "select" concept for their B programs is supposed to help encourage players to stay in rec longer, but I'm not sure how successful that has been so far. It may take some time to catch on or it might never work at all. Speaking from firsthand experience and conversations with numerous coaches over the years, a majority of TB coaches prefer the freedoms they have coaching independent of the rec leagues. Coaching in rec can be great training for them, but they covet the autonomy of TB regardless of whether their teams are competitive.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Chris - looks like Ill get to see Amherst for myself last weekend in May.

that tournament looks like it will be interesting.
not a lot of teams (8 max, and still looking to fill last slot *hint*, *hint*) but not a bad one in the bunch.

Are you playing Aunt Rosie's? We're in Cayuga that weekend...we're playing the Variety Club Telethon Tourney the weekend before and we we're just looking for a different venue...

If not...where? I might be game...hell...I just entered my 11U team in the regional 14U NSA qualifier...LOL...no guts, no glory...CP

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There is a lack of A-level pitchers to support the number of teams that consider themselves A-level. I am always amazed at the number of teams who advertise themselves as A-level during tryout season, then post an add looking for a P, C and SS.....

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
i have extolled the virtue of the unsung outfielder for a long time. And now as I see a higher and higher level of competition I will go on record as saying that the OF and the 7-9 spots in the lineup are the big difference makers between the A and B teams. It is easy to get a team with 5 good players playing Catcher, SS, 3rd and 2nd and a good #1 pitcher. And having them be a good top of the lineup. Getting 3 good players to play on the OF and bat 7-9 is where the really good teams get the edge. show me a team where 7-9 can still hit well and can play OF well and I will show you a really good A level team.

Disclaimer- the author of this post sired a lifelong 1-4 hitter that played catcher/pitcher/SS who currently plays center field and bats in the 7 slot-his opinion is highly suspect and most definitely biased.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
i have extolled the virtue of the unsung outfielder for a long time. And now as I see a higher and higher level of competition I will go on record as saying that the OF and the 7-9 spots in the lineup are the big difference makers between the A and B teams. It is easy to get a team with 5 good players playing Catcher, SS, 3rd and 2nd and a good #1 pitcher. And having them be a good top of the lineup. Getting 3 good players to play on the OF and bat 7-9 is where the really good teams get the edge. show me a team where 7-9 can still hit well and can play OF well and I will show you a really good A level team.

Disclaimer- the author of this post sired a lifelong 1-4 hitter that played catcher/pitcher/SS who currently plays center field and bats in the 7 slot-his opinion is highly suspect and most definitely biased.

This is a true statement from what I've seen this year. The "A" teams have elite level outfield play. If there pitcher isn't great then the rest of the team is capable of playing good D. The one exception I've seen are the teams with elite pitching who's defense is rarely used tend to struggle against teams that put the ball in play a lot.

ELITE=Top A teams that I've seen in my area.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Elite A-level teams have strong bats 1-9, so the OF had better be able to carry their weight! OF is also a good place for players who can run like the wind!

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
i have extolled the virtue of the unsung outfielder for a long time.

This is also my measuring stick for a well-coached team at 10U/12U.
Are there statues out there in the outfield? or is each OF position moving on EVERY play.

If I were ever to get back into coaching again, I would volunteer to "take charge of the OF crew";
and get them running like a well-oiled machine. Not only because I find that part of the game interesting,
but also because nothing drives me more crazy to watch than stationary OF, that look surprised or fearful when one is hit out there...

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

My DD has played one only one team in her life that was pretty dominant. That was last year. The strength of 7-9 was certainly a factor in that. I saw the team's stats for the first time this week (team broke up last fall). Had one really good hitter (.471), but the rest were between (.325-410). When your #9 batter hits .325, you're liable to be a very consistent team. That's what wins tournaments - being solid every game, not too many ups and downs. I think at younger ages, you can be carried more by 3-4 stars, assuming 1 is a pitcher. Older you get, the more that depth rules the day, IMO. Your pitching has to be good, but beyond that, it's about who has the fewest weaknesses.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore