Substitution Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Batting 10 in lineup. One sub listed.

Sub comes in in second inning for #8 in batting order. Then starter comes back.

Third inning, #5 in order breaks wrist sliding into second. No question she is taken out for injury.

Can the sub come back into the game in the #5 spot due to injury? If not, is it an automatic out when #5 spot comes back up or, since we were batting 10, does #5 just get skipped when her turn comes back up.

We had three different answers this weekend but no one was "certain." Read the rules and it is not clear to me but I am new.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Soop

Nov 16, 2015
The sub cant come back in as they are out of the game.

You can drop from 10 to 9 in the batting order with no penalty.

Not 100% sure if this is the right rule, but it was the umpire explained to me in our game a couple weeks ago. We had 10 girls, all batting and 1 got hurt. We dropped the 1 out and batted 9.

Jun 22, 2008
Once a player has occupied a spot in the batting order, they cannot occupy any other spot. It is not possible for the same sub to play for both #10 and #5 in their respective batting spots in the lineup. Most softball rule sets allow all players a re-entry, so the sub who came in for #10 can leave the game and still has a re-entry, but only in the original spot in which they originally played.

As for how to handle the injured player missing in the lineup, that will depend completely on whatever the league rules are you are playing under. A player missing from the batting order is generally an automatic out each time that spot comes up to bat, but some league rules make it an out only the first time and then after that they are just skipped. You would have to check with your league.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13