Stupid Things Coaches Say (But Shouldn’t)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Pitchers who are throwing the ball all over the place don't need to be told to throw strikes. They're quite aware that they're not, and the pressure to throw strikes is probably forcing them out of the mechanics that they would use to throw them. It's a useless, unhelpful statement. It's like telling someone who is carrying a pile plates not to drop any.

Also, if you think it's so easy to throw strikes on command as a windmill pitcher, give it a try. It's not as easy as it might appear to be. Now imagine, instead of being an adult, you're a 12 year old girl with all the insecurities that entails, just learning her craft, and doing it in front of family and friends who are all dependent on what she does with every pitch.

If you just want someone to lob in some strikes so you don't have to watch walks, put anyone in there who is willing to do that. Let those who actually want to pitch develop their mechanics so they can become true pitchers. If they're throwing too many walks, take them out, tell them it wasn't their day, and encourage them to keep working at it.

A whole lot of great pitchers started out not being able to throw strikes very often. But they got better because they were given the opportunity to develop rather than focus on short-term goals.

Jan 25, 2022
Pitchers who are throwing the ball all over the place don't need to be told to throw strikes. They're quite aware that they're not, and the pressure to throw strikes is probably forcing them out of the mechanics that they would use to throw them. It's a useless, unhelpful statement. It's like telling someone who is carrying a pile plates not to drop any.

Also, if you think it's so easy to throw strikes on command as a windmill pitcher, give it a try. It's not as easy as it might appear to be. Now imagine, instead of being an adult, you're a 12 year old girl with all the insecurities that entails, just learning her craft, and doing it in front of family and friends who are all dependent on what she does with every pitch.

If you just want someone to lob in some strikes so you don't have to watch walks, put anyone in there who is willing to do that. Let those who actually want to pitch develop their mechanics so they can become true pitchers. If they're throwing too many walks, take them out, tell them it wasn't their day, and encourage them to keep working at it.

A whole lot of great pitchers started out not being able to throw strikes very often. But they got better because they were given the opportunity to develop rather than focus on short-term goals.

Respectfully, that's not what I've ever been saying, and I've stated that clearly several times.

I'm talking about the kid who is trying to throw screws and curves, etc that aren't being called, and isn't capable of landing them consistently, but IS capable of putting a fastball over the plate consistently. We have one right now. Spins are inconsistent. Fastball is money. So when the walks start happening back to back, it's time to stop hoping to land a spin pitch and go back to basics to give your defense a chance to get some outs. In the rebuilding phase of our middle school program, being competitive and getting a few wins is more important than letting her try throw pitches she can't land, because if we lose every game by mercy it's not gonna make softball real appealing to potential players.

We haven't had the luxury of having anyone else that can get it over the plate. Many times (or just to start for the B games) we send in relief knowing that they'll walk almost every batter until we're run-ruled. There's not another option unless we're ok with wrecking our #1 pitcher's arm, which we're not.

With the small sample size of the more prolific posters at DFP, with their high level travel teams and pitchers who have four spins at 60mph whose parents can afford $50-$100/hr lessons beginning at age 8, one would think that we ALL have a stable of competent throwers. That's not reality for most school programs. We pull kids from anywhere we can get them, have them recruit their friends, try to get them to love the game, then do our best to teach it. In three years the only kid in pitching lessons was my DD, and it was only her first year even knowing what softball was.

Maybe "just throw strikes (aka, fastball down the middle) is a foreign concept to some because they've never been in our situation, because their school has more than 450 kids, or their town is part of a county little league with more than 30 softball players age 10-12...or maybe it's just been so long they've forgotten what it's like?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
That's not what I've ever been saying, and I've stated that clearly several times.

I'm talking about the kid who is trying to throw screws and curves, etc that aren't being called, and isn't capable of landing them consistently, but IS capable of putting a fastball over the plate consistently.
Since you don't call the pitches and also since you said you don't yell it out to her (and hence tipping the other team) maybe just tell her to throw her fastball more when you do talk to her? ;)

Jan 25, 2022
Since you don't call the pitches and also since you said you don't yell it out to her (and hence tipping the other team) maybe just tell her to throw her fastball more when you do talk to her? ;)

Is there any other way to do it?

Let's set the scene. Picture a team huddle, but just with the pitcher. The lights are bright, but inviting. Half the parents are consuming nachos and diet coke, hardly paying attention. My wife and her friend are talking about her new camping chair and the great price she got it for at Sam's Club. It's very sturdy and has a tray table. Our team logo on the face of the dugout is glowing in the dark and the ump hasn't told us to shut if off...yet. There's a slight, late April chill in the air and the soft glow illuminates coaches and pitcher as the wisdom is shared in a calming, supportive voice.

"STOP THROWING ALL THAT GARBAGE AND START PUTTING IT DOWN THE MIDDLE OR YOU'RE SWEEPING THE DUGOUT WITH AN OLD PAINT BRUSH THE REST OF THE SEASON."

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Respectfully, that's not what I've ever been saying, and I've stated that clearly several times.

I'm talking about the kid who is trying to throw screws and curves, etc that aren't being called, and isn't capable of landing them consistently, but IS capable of putting a fastball over the plate consistently.
call pitches
💥👍 solution!

Maybe "just throw strikes (aka, fastball down the middle) is a foreign concept to some because they've never been in our situation, because their school has more than 450 kids, or their town is part of a county little league with more than 30 softball players age 10-12...or maybe it's just been so long they've forgotten what it's like?
Saying 'Just throw strikes' particularly when you know she is trying to throw three different type of pitches and one is more efficient but you're giving her the opportunity to select what she's throwing and the catcher doesn't know what's going on is a recipe for disaster.

Think of it this way,
if you have already said before she gets out on the field 'let's throw strikes you have a defense behind you, no need to throw around batters'.
But then you keep saying it over and over 'just throw strikes' while she's out on the field can come across as maybe you think she didn't listen to you.
*Do you think she's not listening to you before she steps out on the field?
Going to say she probably heard you say that already and understands what that means.
However by not calling pitches YOU are allowing her to throw stuff that may not be the best choice to get a strike
(as you already commented knowing this).
So actually she should yell back at you
'Just Call Pitches' 🙂

*By calling pitches YOU/COACH helps to control what you hope to happen in the game.
In this way you will be able to recognize whether she is hitting locations with whatever pitches you're asking her to throw.. and hopefully your pitch calling can help make a difference in the strategy as she moves forward to learn how and when to throw around batters or throw for strikes.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This situation could be in Reverse where all she's doing is throwing strikes, opposing team is hitting
then a coach might yell out
'throw your curve'
Or 'throw a change up'...

Which that wouldn't make sense to give away that you're going to stop piping pitches. Right?!

Just call pitches!👍

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Just played a team (16u) where the pitcher called her own pitches via the wristbands. I thought to myself, look, the ducks are shooting the hunters.
We scored 7 runs in 3 innings off her.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Just played a team (16u) where the pitcher called her own pitches via the wristbands. I thought to myself, look, the ducks are shooting the hunters.
We scored 7 runs in 3 innings off her.
Lol ducks with guns...

Why do you think it didn't work to have the pitcher call her own pitchees? Was her own pitching mechanics off (missing locations) or her thinking strategy off? Or did you just pick up on the signals?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802