Streaming - Mevo and General

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Right now I just want to film and save to a SD card what's the best camera option and I might eventually start streaming later

For just recording, we think the GoPro is the best option. It is compact and rugged to handle the environment. It takes excellent video and there are several models to fit your price range. We recommend the HERO9. The 8 is good as well for slightly less money. A referbished 5 is the best bang for the buck. I would stay away from the 6 and 7.

Just note that GoPro isn't a good streaming option. They only stream in the widest field of view. It will include fence in the shot and push the action back.

Dec 15, 2019
Our Verizon plans have 20GB of hotspot data. We have a few phones on our plan and we rotate as needed if we need to spread the data out. That being said, most of the time we stream with a Smartphone (which doesn't then require hotspot) and record with a second device (usually a GoPro). For smartphone streaming, we have been playing off and on with a program called Larix Broadcaster (recommended by @misty earlier this year). It detects the wide angle lens on the iPhones but not our Google phones...still playing with that.

Will you be able to stream on the reduced speed when you use up the 20gb?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2020
T-mobile just reintroduced a 100GB for $50 plan for their 5G Inseego hotspot. You have to commit to that hotspot for 24 months though (if you do it’s “free”). I’m toying with trying it out for the 14 day trial window with some of our out-of-state tournaments coming up.

The obvious downside is that it only allows 480 resolution for streaming movie sites. But I’m not sure if that would apply to Mevo uploads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 22, 2010
SO CAL
For just recording, we think the GoPro is the best option. It is compact and rugged to handle the environment. It takes excellent video and there are several models to fit your price range. We recommend the HERO9. The 8 is good as well for slightly less money. A referbished 5 is the best bang for the buck. I would stay away from the 6 and 7.

Just note that GoPro isn't a good streaming option. They only stream in the widest field of view. It will include fence in the shot and push the action back.

Thanks Josh I was looking at the Mevo start but the field of view is not good especially for softball when the backstops are real close. How much better is the field of view on the go pro.

Thx Larry

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Thanks Josh I was looking at the Mevo start but the field of view is not good especially for softball when the backstops are real close. How much better is the field of view on the go pro.

Thx Larry

Much better actually. There are several FOV options on the GoPro and you also have a zoom option to dial in a particular FOV. The Mevo Start has a fixed FOV of about 84 degrees. The GoPro Hero9 ranges from about 67 to 121 degrees (horizontal; 16:9 aspect ratio).

References:
Mevo: https://help.mevo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026234672-Where-should-I-position-Mevo-
GoPro: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/HERO9-Black-Digital-Lenses-FOV-Information/ta-p/1023549

Aug 21, 2020
Has anyone tried using the Mevo Multicam app during a game? I tested it with the GC Team manager app and seems to work ok for streaming of RTMP, but I’m not sure if there is a lot of value in running another Mevo.

Plus the TM stream is always has a 25-30 second latency so switching feeds mid game might cause something to be missed.

Feb 7, 2016
Has anyone tried using the Mevo Multicam app during a game? I tested it with the GC Team manager app and seems to work ok for streaming of RTMP, but I’m not sure if there is a lot of value in running another Mevo.

Plus the TM stream is always has a 25-30 second latency so switching feeds mid game might cause something to be missed.

I've used the Mevo Multicam app for a couple of games. It's definitely very cool and works rather well to provide multiple angles. However, with all of the stuff I'm doing (scoring, announcing, live-streaming) it just becomes too much to manage. There's a reason why broadcasters have multiple crews (Video, Announcers, Audio, Score/stat keepers etc..) :). I've reverted back to my single camera and that's good enough for now.

Aug 21, 2020
I've used the Mevo Multicam app for a couple of games. It's definitely very cool and works rather well to provide multiple angles. However, with all of the stuff I'm doing (scoring, announcing, live-streaming) it just becomes too much to manage. There's a reason why broadcasters have multiple crews (Video, Announcers, Audio, Score/stat keepers etc..) :). I've reverted back to my single camera and that's good enough for now.

Wow that’s a handful.

When you were running the 2nd cam, what angle did you try to get?

Feb 7, 2016
Wow that’s a handful.

When you were running the 2nd cam, what angle did you try to get?

I've toyed around with a few angles. My standard angle is off the umpire's left shoulder.

Other angles I've tried:
- Zoomed tight on the pitcher.
- Down the 1st base line about 10 feet past 1st base with the camera pointed back to 1st base.
- Dugout cam. The girls love this angle, but it can be distracting. When you switch to that camera, the girls see the red dot light up and they get goofy like any other teenage girl in front of a camera.
- My favorite is a low angle on the first base side about a 10-15ft up the base line, pointed right at the right hand batters box. You get can get the batters face as they set up in the box.

This is all cool until you start getting texted from parents at home saying all they can see is the pitcher because you forgot to change the angle back to the main camera! :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478