Stinkin' thinking on a travel team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
My DD loves her travel teammates and the team itself, but there is a problem. Some players have made negative comments such as, ''I hope we lose this game so we'll have the rest of the weekend free.'' This sentiment has been raised more than once in different ways. Once on a message board. Once during warmups, where a couple of others basically agreed. These are things that have been said before major tournaments, or before big games, not the 8th game of the day when it's only human to think that way. This is also a college showcase team. It calls into question why some players are on the team.

Choices are

DD can confront them, or let the coach know. She's fairly new on the team and believes such a bold move will ostracize her. Whether this is the right choice or not, realistically, it's not going to happen.

Parent can bring it up to the coach. DD doesn't want that because she fears people will suspect her as a tattle tail. I don't think she'll be suspected or hurt by it because I think it can be handled tactfully, but I also believe it's her team and not my place to intervene without her permission.

How would you handle as a parent?

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
JMO...Parent needs to stay out of it...player needs to analyze whether the current environment is good for HER softball goals (it's OK with something like this to be a little selfish)...if not, finish out whatever commitment has been made and then find another more "serious" team.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Find a new team and when the coach asks your reason, tell him. Your DD is not on a college showcase team other than in name only. You are wasting your time and money.

Jun 12, 2015
If they're hoping to lose so they can have the weekend off, it makes me wonder what they're doing playing travel ball at all. Maybe forced by mommy or daddy?

Oct 19, 2009
It is frustrating as a coach, because one team I was the coach worked all year one time; practice, games and fund raises to got to the world series and two players make the statement before a critical game they want to loose so they can go see the sights and go shopping!

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Great responses guys. Thanks.

Your DD is not on a college showcase team other than in name only. You are wasting your time and money.

Not saying you are wrong about time & money but I will say that the team is playing a tough schedule and is seeing some college coaches. Coach does have some contacts. It is not a sham team but does not appear to have 12 players on same page.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would advise your DD to just be upbeat directly to the other players...."I just LOVE playing and hope we go as deep in the tournament as possible"...

Mar 4, 2015
New England
If they're hoping to lose so they can have the weekend off, it makes me wonder what they're doing playing travel ball at all. Maybe forced by mommy or daddy?

All of them like to play softball and want to be on the team. This isn't a regular occurrence. But on a showcase team, it should never be an occurrence, imo. With the exception of being hurt or something out of the ordinary. So I would say they want to play softball, but some just don't need to be on this kind of team.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
It can be hard at times, but good teammates don't narc on bad teammates.
No harm in countering that with enthusiasm, as JAD suggests. At the worst, they'll find someone else to share that opinion with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13