Stealing On A Walk- 10u Travel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
Great points guys. Can’t wait to bring this to tonight’s practice. Just one last question- if the pitcher has control of the ball in the circle before runner gets to first then they can’t continue on to second base?

It doesn't matter. A walk is the same as a hit.

Imagine you bunted the ball and the pitcher fielded it in the circle before the batter/runner reached first. The batter/runner doesn't care....she could in theory run all the way around all of the bases (without stopping) for a home run.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was thinking about defending this a little bit. :)

With a runner 3rd you probably want your 1st baseperson on 1st, 2nd baseperson a 1/3 of the way between 1st and 2nd(she needs to stay out of runners way)and SS cover 2nd.

No reason not to do the same thing without a runner on 3rd.

May 10, 2021
I have seen teams defensively throw the ball to 1B immediately after a BB. Sometimes the batter/runner runs right into the tag of the first baseman.

This happens to developmental/inexperienced teams frequently. Get a defensive game plan and make a couple put outs. It will end.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
Definitely get out of the mindset that everything stops when the ball is in the circle. The play stops when the runners stop and the ball is in the circle.

Teach your middle infield to cover. One covers second, one back ups pitcher on every throw back.

I have seen 10U/12U teams that try to bait you to take second on a walk and then they are ready. MI will turn their backs and wander close enough to quickly cover. Pitcher will act like they aren't paying attention. Runner isn't even half way by the time the ball is at second.

Teach your catcher to hustle for a passed ball on a walk or this will happen often. Good teams know the count and run hard to first on a walk.

Jun 19, 2016
The walk gets you 1 base free and any runners that are forced over get one base. You can't be put out with the one base. After that one base the runner can proceed at their own risk. The pitcher having the ball in the circle does not stop the runner. It is important to get the ball back to the pitcher as quickly as possible and have someone cover second. If the runner stops proceeding towards second they must immediately return to first or they will be called out if the pitcher is looking at them. A good pitcher can get lots of outs on look backs at 10U. You don't see it called often after 10U.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
With a runner at 3B, taking 2B after a walk is pretty common through 12U, and runs often score when the defense falls into the trap of trying to get the out at 2B. At 14U, good teams will get the out at 2B and home.

Oct 4, 2018
Great points guys. Can’t wait to bring this to tonight’s practice. Just one last question- if the pitcher has control of the ball in the circle before runner gets to first then they can’t continue on to second base?

They can continue in that case.

The look back rule says they can't stop/hesitate, so if they run to first and keep going to second it doesn't matter where the ball is.

What kind of stinks about this is that in 10U it works really well. So many 10U teams (especially rec) can't get the out, even if they know what to do. And a runner that knows how to be in a rundown can usually outlast a 10U team that will eventually not throw the ball or make a bad throw.

It's border-line bush league crap in my opinion. I mean just steal on the first pitch and you honestly have better odds of being safe at second, and at least don't look like a total douche-bag, trophy-hunting daddy baller.

Oct 26, 2019
They can continue in that case.

The look back rule says they can't stop/hesitate, so if they run to first and keep going to second it doesn't matter where the ball is.

What kind of stinks about this is that in 10U it works really well. So many 10U teams (especially rec) can't get the out, even if they know what to do. And a runner that knows how to be in a rundown can usually outlast a 10U team that will eventually not throw the ball or make a bad throw.

It's border-line bush league crap in my opinion. I mean just steal on the first pitch and you honestly have better odds of being safe at second, and at least don't look like a total douche-bag, trophy-hunting daddy baller.
I tend to agree with you, but I will add. I secretly love it when teams do that kind of stuff against us. It allows us to work in our defense of it which ultimately makes us better. I usually thank the other team. Down the road most of that base running stuff won’t work but the skills my defense learned defending it will always work!

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. But what's the difference between stealing 2B on a BB versus any other time? A mistake by the defense is a mistake. Whether the opportunity to steal is provided on a wild pitch/passed ball, over-throw, or the defense not paying attention.

You mentioned it in regards to 10u rec. So, I get that and agree. A lot of those games can be a walk fest to begin with. My experience comes from 12u/14u. Where, even at the C-level, the opportunities to take 2B on a BB isn't often. As a coach I have zero issue with someone doing it to us. If it's within the rules I can't get mad about it.

Continuing to do it in a blowout situation is another story though. There are teams we've played where we were clearly the better team. In those cases we wouldn't do it and left it up to traditional base stealing. There were other teams we played where we were blatantly the lesser team. In those cases....we needed to find all advantages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog