Stealing On A Walk- 10u Travel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2021
Hadn’t seen this yet in our games yet but the “A” team was short players so my daughter played in their game. The batter was walked on the other team and basically ran all the way to second base with our girls completely oblivious to this. Is this all based on pitcher having control of the ball in the circle? Does the fact that it is a walk change anything? They did it multiple times. Just another thing to add to the to do list next practice. Thanks.

Jun 11, 2013
If you asking if it's a legal move then it is. It shouldn't take long to work on it. Have pitcher ready to just throw her out.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Some places they call that a California Steal. Not sure what they call it in California. Probably just a continuation. As mentioned above, the pitcher needs to watch the runner, but someone also needs to cover the second base bag.

Mar 1, 2013
As long as she touched first, didn't pause, and continued to second there is no look back rule violation. Assuming there is no local modification to prohibit this, I just have a walk and a stolen base. She could continue to third and then home as long as she didn't stop ON a base.

Basically, this is a "nothing to see here". A good defensive team will get the out every time on this.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
We would do this with some of our faster girls when we played a team who wouldn’t pay attention or cover. The walked batter would hustle to 1B and round it. If there was no coverage at 2B and pitcher had her head down….they’d go.

It usually only works a couple times before the other team starts covering it.

Apr 25, 2021
Great points guys. Can’t wait to bring this to tonight’s practice. Just one last question- if the pitcher has control of the ball in the circle before runner gets to first then they can’t continue on to second base?

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
We have seen this before and it's usually if you can catch the defense sleeping or say you have a runner on 3rd. Or a lot of times when the pitch is bad - in the dirt. I don't know if I've seen it as much since DD has moved up to higher age groups.

Oct 24, 2010
Great points guys. Can’t wait to bring this to tonight’s practice. Just one last question- if the pitcher has control of the ball in the circle before runner gets to first then they can’t continue on to second base?

That doesn't stop the runner. EddieQ points out the runner can continue all the way home assuming she doesn't pass another runner, stop on a base, or make more than one stop between bases.

Review the look back rule for whatever alphabet organization you are playing under.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

If the runner doesn't stop, she could circle the bases with the pitcher holding the ball in the circle.

I recently watched an older high-level team attempt a run to 2B off a walk when the pitcher appeared distracted. The high level team they were playing recovered very quickly and threw her out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812