Stats question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Being able to come through and get RBIs is worth noting. But of course the clean-up batter will have more opportunities than the lead-off batter and the stat does get skewed. Perhaps BARISP is better, but that doesn't catch Sac Flies and other beneficial outcomes.

Mar 8, 2016
I was looking at some hs stats recently. Two sisters that are on the tb team I help coach had over 200 PA and 1 ROE. I also saw the stats for one of the new recruits to dd college. She had one ROE for her entire hs career. It is one of the first things I look at to see if the books are being kept halfway accurately.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Using ROE is interesting, especially because of your reasoning (which makes a lot of sense).

Studies have confirmed what should be intuitive: ground ball hitters ROE more, right-handed hitters ROE more, and fast hitters ROE more. (This is for baseball, so I'd imagine that slappers also ROE more, too)

On the other hand, I think RBI would be the very last stat I'd use in determining a hitter's worth. It tells you much more about the quality of the hitters who bat ahead of someone.
A lot of scorers have a hard time with deciding what a fast runner beating out a throw is. Was a hit or roe. And if you have 2 girls. Player A hits 375 with no ROE and player B with a 365 ba and 8 ROE. Player A’s mom is the score keeper.

I like RBI to see who is performing in the clutch. As a coach I should be able to know who has the most opportunities. But if my 6 and 7 hitters are getting half as many RBI as my 8 hitter. I am probably moving that 8 hitter up

Mar 4, 2015
New England
With situational stats, you have to be careful with low sample size. Travel ball and especially high school ball have low sample sizes to begin with compared to MLB. How many RISP at-bats does it take before hitting .400 vs. .300 with RISP is statistically significant? Lot of research of MLB stats has generally concluded that clutch hitting is a myth, that hitters show now real consistency from one year to the next at hitting higher than normal in clutch situations. I think much of what we think is a clutch hitter is just as easily luck, opportunity or low sample size.

Oct 4, 2018
With situational stats, you have to be careful with low sample size. Travel ball and especially high school ball have low sample sizes to begin with compared to MLB. How many RISP at-bats does it take before hitting .400 vs. .300 with RISP is statistically significant? Lot of research of MLB stats has generally concluded that clutch hitting is a myth, that hitters show now real consistency from one year to the next at hitting higher than normal in clutch situations. I think much of what we think is a clutch hitter is just as easily luck, opportunity or low sample size.

Good point. And at MLB level it makes sense.

But with little girls, some simply fold under pressure and some come through. Coaches and parents probably recognize this without stats, however.

Jan 25, 2022
We used batting average, on base percentage, walks, hits, strikeouts.

Calculating the percentage of thrown strikes was important for me for gauging the performance of our pitchers. We didn't have super detailed stats overall. Just the basics, and I was thankful for it.

It's interesting to see how the kid who is scared to swing half the time has a higher OBP than the one who makes contact on almost every at-bat. That poor kid at one point had made contact 18 times and only had two hits. Had a real knack for hitting the ball hard, right at defenders. I think she had the second lowest OBP. The girl who was scared to swing was also short, and good at judging the small strike zone her size created. She got walked a lot. She didn't play full-time, but we knew her value at getting on base. With a less experienced pitcher in the circle, she was almost a sure bet to get on base.

Obviously that's something you can see without the stats, but there are a lot of things to see all the time, and it wasnt until looking at the stats did we really get a good look at our overall strengths and weaknesses on paper, then see if they lined up with what was actually happening.

Oct 3, 2019
Yeah, but # of pitches after two strikes depends a lot on the pitcher. Back in 10U when I started coaching with Game Changer, it would give a quality at bat to the girl who didn't swing at 3 balls over her head. Basically, it was rewarding them for stuff that was a bit goofy.

As pitching gets better, I'm sure QAB means more or shows more. But even number of pitches after 2 strikes is odd. If the next pitch is a fastball down the middle, I hope number of pitches after 2 strikes is 1.
Maybe there should be a stat for number of pitches fouled off per AB.

Jun 8, 2016
They have a better GC stat for quality AB..hard hit ball % but you have to have somebody who knows what an age appropriate HHB ball is and then apply it equally across the board…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802