Start of rec

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
DD had quit TB after the fall and decided to just play rec for her final season (she graduates in May).
She has some friends on the team luckily so that's good and has been meeting others.
Some girls have been playing for years but for some they are semi-new to SB so still learning a lot.
They haven't been able to practice much due to weather but had their first scrimmage and first game this past week.
It's not TB so pitching isn't as tough but so far she's 4/5 with a 2B and 3B, 5 RBIs, and 4 runs. She's also played SS, 3B, 1B, OF and C (she normally only played OF or sometimes C in TB - though SS was her primary position until a few years ago). Threw someone out stealing 2nd and also got one trying to steal home.
Sadly we don't do video at the games so I won't be able to get any of her defensive plays anymore like in TB.

Again the level of play is easier than TB but she's having fun which is something I love to hear.
She said she might even pitch some this season - which she hasn't done in years.
Now if the weather would just warm up so I can enjoy the games instead of freezing so far :)

Oct 4, 2018
As much as we can bitch and moan about Rec, it's the backbone of softball and where almost every girl starts and many get the passion and drive that carries them for years. Glad it's there to return to for those who go that route. Best of luck to your DD this season.

Oct 4, 2018
I've wondered if a 16+ rec league would viable if the kids just played ... no coaches.

I'd actually enjoy coaching a team like that (assuming the parents were cool). Big assumption, I know.

"Some of you played travel and wanted to come back to rec, some of you are new to softball. I'll help coach the newer girls and I'll get out of the way for you others. Let's just have fun."

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I've wondered if a 16+ rec league would viable if the kids just played ... no coaches.
My dd played college club ball. They elected a club board. President, Vice president, treasurer and secretary. Those girls were the coaches. Most teams they played had separate coaches. The team had fun and had some success. So self coaching worked well.

Plus is was always funny to me when my DD (treasurer) would meet the umps, hand them an envelope with money and then pitch.

May 29, 2015
My dd played college club ball. They elected a club board. President, Vice president, treasurer and secretary. Those girls were the coaches. Most teams they played had separate coaches. The team had fun and had some success. So self coaching worked well.

Plus is was always funny to me when my DD (treasurer) would meet the umps, hand them an envelope with money and then pitch.

The first time I did a college club game, it was like that. It was ... awkward ...

But it was one of the most fun sets of games I ever did. They wanted to be there. They weren't begin bullied or screamed at. It was great.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
DD is still doing well this season. So far her team is undefeated - even with some of these newer girls - they are doing great learning to hit.
Most of our games have been pretty easy - but last night we were actually losing at one point. Got ahead and the other team managed to tie it up 5-5. Last inning and we are home team.
DD leads off with a first pitch double - gets to 3rd on overthrow. Then next girl gets on on a pop up where DD couldn't get home. Next girl up hits a double as well - we walk off winning 6-5 :)

At another game, DD caught the entire game and I guess a parent on the other team was impressed with her throw downs. He jokingly asked her how many scholarships she had ;) Then during warm up when she was about to do her throw down - the same parent told everyone to watch. Then after the game - the other team coach brought over a player from that team to tell DD she did really well catching.
I've always thought she had a good arm but that's usually a parent bias - so fun for her to hear it from others :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802