Sprinting mental block on the bases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I would be totally fine with a quick look just to appease them, but my problem is that they slow down considerably when they do. They literally increase their chance of being thrown out, when fear of being thrown out is the reason they look. Sheesh..

Oh, I know. I know exactly what you're describing.

When I say a quick look, I'm talking the glance you see from a lot of Major Leaguers about 2/3 of the way. That's just to really gauge how quickly the throw is coming/if one is coming.

What my girls do is take a very aggressive lead on release, as if they're going, but then they hesitate until the ball gets to the catcher/is hit/whatever. Then they continue on. I assume that's similar to yours. It's so frustrating and unnecessary.

Jan 25, 2022
Oh, I know. I know exactly what you're describing.

When I say a quick look, I'm talking the glance you see from a lot of Major Leaguers about 2/3 of the way. That's just to really gauge how quickly the throw is coming/if one is coming.

What my girls do is take a very aggressive lead on release, as if they're going, but then they hesitate until the ball gets to the catcher/is hit/whatever. Then they continue on. I assume that's similar to yours. It's so frustrating and unnecessary.
Drives me crazy. The only look we've taught them to do is look for 3B coach about 10ft before the bag, which they never, ever do. So they put on the brakes, look up, then hear HC screaming from 3B to keep going. They look again for the ball, then take off and most of the time barely make it...or we just send them right back to 2B because they botched it. My daughter is about 50% successful.

We run CONSTANTLY though. We have to play a lot of small ball, and we'll steal until we get caught. Doesn't matter who's catching. I've seen very few throw-outs in middle school play.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2