Sprinting mental block on the bases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
Hello! I coach 10u and have a player that has a mental block turning up the speed on the base paths. Her form is more of a jog than a sprint which she is working on. She doesnt realize that she is moving slow most the time. On the flip side, when she is in the field and has to run a base runner down, she turns up the speed into that extra gear, leans forward, perfect sprint form and is actually decently fast, so I know she has it in her.

How do I get her to run the bases like she runs down base runners? Girl hits like crazy but some of the doubles could easily be triples and HRs. Thanks!

Jan 25, 2022
We have one that jog/sprints. You can get about one good sprint out of her per game. i dunno what to do about it, but she's moving up to HS so the coach can figure it out. It might just be a matter of consciously shortening her stride length or something.

We have several that ALWAYS look at the catcher after leaving the base on a steal. Drives me nuts. Told them if they don't stop I'm gonna put horse blinders on them.

Nov 9, 2021
I would create some base running competitions to run at practices. Often competition can make things fun and make girls try harder. Eventually she might just develop good habits if you do them enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2019
We have one that jog/sprints. You can get about one good sprint out of her per game. i dunno what to do about it, but she's moving up to HS so the coach can figure it out. It might just be a matter of consciously shortening her stride length or something.

We have several that ALWAYS look at the catcher after leaving the base on a steal. Drives me nuts. Told them if they don't stop I'm gonna put horse blinders on them.
I teach our girls to peak in and see contact when stealing. If the batter swings it’s nice to know where the ball went. I’m not sure if that use bat your girls are doing, but it’s not a bad thing if it’s just a peak for contact.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I would have match races for the team and bring some competition to bear on her. You start one girl at home and one about 15' up the first base line, then yell 'go'. Obviously the goal is for the trail runner to tag the lead runner and vice versa the lead runner not to be tagged. My players always enjoy this.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

One quick look halfway or so is fine (I never did it, but it's fine). But yes, no matter how often we teach/work on just going, a whole bunch of our girls are still basically waiting to go until they see what happens. It's one of those things where I'm strongly considering negative reinforcement (immediate benching) because it drives me crazy and it's completely unacceptable.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
She says she thought she was running.
So she knows she's not running. Text book "I'm going to do what I want to do." Talk to her, talk to her parents and, if it persists, put in a pinch runner whenever she gets on base and doesn't hustle. Just letting everyone get some playing time, eh.

Reactions: RJK
Jan 25, 2022
One quick look halfway or so is fine (I never did it, but it's fine). But yes, no matter how often we teach/work on just going, a whole bunch of our girls are still basically waiting to go until they see what happens. It's one of those things where I'm strongly considering negative reinforcement (immediate benching) because it drives me crazy and it's completely unacceptable.
I would be totally fine with a quick look just to appease them, but my problem is that they slow down considerably when they do. They literally increase their chance of being thrown out, when fear of being thrown out is the reason they look. Sheesh..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28