Sprinter Stance Style Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
Glad to know I am not the only one making that mistake. My DD was having issues of not executing her push off the rubber the same when actually pitching to a batter as she did pitching at home. She would shortened up her stride basically to a step trying to slow everything down and what I call place the ball instead of pitching the ball. When this happened her control was worse even though her mind she was trying to get more control. So we spent 4 weeks pitching without a ball then last week doing one without a ball then one with a ball throwing into a net. Concentrating on drive mechanics and staying stacked. My thought was if we do this enough without worrying about throwing a strike or hitting someone it will become engrained enough that she cant do it any other way. Maybe it was a waste of time, but was something we could do while giving her arm a break for a month or so.
throw into a tarp that is only a few feet away if you want to take the "throw a strike" part out of the equation. My DD (13) PC still has her do it will working certain things.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Maybe it was a waste of time, but was something we could do while giving her arm a break for a month or so.

If your DD needed a break for a month due to her arm, then her arm motion is messed up.

If you would post a video, we could see what the problems are and give you better direction.

Apr 14, 2022
You are making the classic newbie mistake: focusing on leg drive before the arm motion.

Pitching is 90% arm mechanics. So, the initial focus should be on upper body mechanics, not legs
👍👍

Agree. Watch college, many different form even some bad form with the legs. While I have not researched, but would bet almost all good pitchers are about the same 2 o’clock foot down through release.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
My daughter is new to pitching. Our Ace was injured and will be out for 6 months. That leaves the team with 2 pitchers so we are working my daughter to fulfill the 3rd role (14U pure 8th team)

In Track she is a sprinter so the pitching coach introduced her to a Sprinter Style Stance (that is what she called it). For her first go it was not as bad as I expected - velocity for her very first time wasn't bad (not travel ready but not bad) and she was near the plate.

I think the style that she was introduced to will work for her.

But I can't find detail about the style. I have found sprinter pitching drill videos, but nothing that breaks down every component of the pitching style.

The pitching coach she will use is extremely busy and took her in for a trail run as a favor. We won't see her again for three weeks that was her next opening. My goal---is to have some improvement by then, but I can't find anything to read up or watch to get a better understand of the mechanics of Sprinter Stance Style Pitching.

If I am using the wrong name of the style please correct me. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Here is the type of stance and style she was doing:

Google Search Foot Doctor Esia , Paisley Pitching, or Dr3pitching. All 3 of those teach sprinter style from online courses.

May 16, 2019
IMO The Foot Doctor does a great job of explaining the sprinters motion. I have some students I'm working with. I have made some mistakes along the way as far as posture and coordinating the body parts moving in conjunction with each other but now 3 years later I've figured some things out as far as teaching it. My student are improving with it and that's what's most important.

Jul 31, 2019
Google Search Foot Doctor Esia , Paisley Pitching, or Dr3pitching. All 3 of those teach sprinter style from online courses.
I'm curious why you mentioned Foot Doctor Esia? If its the same guy I'm thinking of, he is not a pitching instructor correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802