Split Grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
Josh Harrsion is the only current MLB player who I think uses the split grip.

Pretty sure some guy named Ty Cobb used the split grip in his career, he had a few hits back in the day. But the split grip seems o have gone away in MLB.
Are you a Tigers fan by chance?

May 12, 2016
1. Instead of swinging at balls above the strike zone, wouldn't it make more sense to practice plate discipline, and/or fix your swing?

2. If I were a pitcher/catcher and I saw a hitter switch to split grip in anticipation of a rise ball, I would throw it low.
Drop ball low outside, or change up low outside, something to make them reach.. split grip killer

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
He had many things he did. It seemed to change every year.
I know. Back in the day, we often talked and had mutual friends. He also attempted to recruit my kid. If you look at the various drills posted on these various websites, you'll see the hitters with split grips. I am sure someone here has the lacross goalie net drill where the hitter has a split grip.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Shaun, when you say stop swings, is that the same as swings to point of contact or to extension?

To the point of contact. Stop swings to a point helps you focus on the hands and connection to the body. The arms are used less, accept for their role to the hands.

Try different levels of swings, 60% effort on a stop swing etc. You’re not interested in effort through contact.

Do 10 stop swings then a stop swing that doesn’t stop, follow through.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802