Spinpitch or fastpitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
Last year while pitching for the sophomore team my DD threw her fastball about 80-90% of the time as called by the coaches. At the time she probably "lived" in the low fifties with near pin point accuracy. She struck out lots of girls and had a lot of success. Wanting her to be a "complete" pitcher at a game I remarked to a friend, I wish that she would throw her CU more. He replied, "How good do you want it to get? She just struck out the last three batters!"

This year pitching for Junior Varsity she is throwing in the mid-fifties but is putting extra work into perfecting her CU and DB. She believes that she's going to need them.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I need to vent some. The game is called fastpitch softball. Not spinpitch. If speed isn't a factor when playing this game would it be called something else? Yes I agree you need to put movement on pitches. I'm tired of so many people saying you don't have to pitch fast to be good. Speed is important with movement on ball.

Again we call this game fastpitch for a reason!

I would agree with you, but then I watch a 45 MPH pitcher make our team look silly and I am reminded that speed isn't everything...

Oct 22, 2009
I would agree with you, but then I watch a 45 MPH pitcher make our team look silly and I am reminded that speed isn't everything...

I have student who pitches high school varsity. She throws in the high 40's to low 50's, and throws lots of off-speed. My other high school pitchers say they hate playing her because she always makes them look so bad.

MonkeyAbs

Information is power
Dec 30, 2013
Midwest
riseball - just using the actual ages (11u = first year 12U) that's all. no baseball site. When her older brothers played TB and HS ball, sites like this were not big, so baseball not really in it. although there is a direct corollary to pitching baseball now that I think of it. LOL.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I have student who pitches high school varsity. She throws in the high 40's to low 50's, and throws lots of off-speed. My other high school pitchers say they hate playing her because she always makes them look so bad.

I play in a men's baseball league against a guy who probably tops out at 60-ish. Everybody - literally everybody - in the league hates to hit against him.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I need to vent some. The game is called fastpitch softball. Not spinpitch. If speed isn't a factor when playing this game would it be called something else? Yes I agree you need to put movement on pitches. I'm tired of so many people saying you don't have to pitch fast to be good. Speed is important with movement on ball.

Again we call this game fastpitch for a reason!

Not sure why you're venting...

You don't have to pitch fast to be good...in fact, you don't have to pitch fast to be great...

When Oklahoma won the NCAA's in '13 everyone is "wow'd" by Ricketts and her 72 MPH "crop duster" yet it was Michelle Gascgoine who led the nation in ERA that year and was the winning pitcher in the final game of the WCWS. Gascgoine tops out around 64.

Here's some highlights..."spin pitch" can be just nasty

Fast forward to their NPF careers...here's the stats from last year:

2014 NPF pitching.jpg

The goal of the pitcher is to keep the batter off balance - period - be it by spin or be it by speed or by location or by all three...

Movement is effective. Speed can be effective. Speed with movement is very effective. Movement with location is very effective.

Compare "David" vs "Goliath" take a peak at their 162 game averages...one guy threw 88-90mph and looks like Matthew Broderick and the other looks like a giant serial killer who threw close to 100mph.

Greg Maddux Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

Randy Johnson Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

More than 1 way to be effective...CP

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Yeah, but Maddux's catcher had fairy dust he used to sprinkle on the top of his helmet. By the 4th inning the umpire would be so high he'd be calling strikes 6 inches off the plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore