Spinpitch or fastpitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I need to vent some. The game is called fastpitch softball. Not spinpitch. If speed isn't a factor when playing this game would it be called something else? Yes I agree you need to put movement on pitches. I'm tired of so many people saying you don't have to pitch fast to be good. Speed is important with movement on ball.

Again we call this game fastpitch for a reason!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I don't disagree, but calling it "fastpitch" defines it as being a different softball game than "slowpitch". it's not just "softball".

Apr 28, 2014
I agree speed is very important.
When my DD was 9 she was throwing the ball very fast for her age. Her accuracy was awful but her speed was great. When she turned 10 we started working with a PC. I asked him if she should slow down her speed and work on accuracy. He said "no". Accuracy will come with time. Many of the other girls in our area focused on accuracy versus speed. When she pitched for Sunday select the other girls were more accurate and had more success. Today, a year later, they have no speed and my DD has become very accurate. Now DD is finally getting her change up working well. A change up is much more effective when it is presented along with a speedy fast ball.
Some of the girls in our area are learning the hard way that a slow accurate fast ball is a hitters dream.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
I dont see this argument at the college level... you need speed, movement, accuracy and the more of each you have the more dangerous as a pitcher you will be... if all you have is ONE of the three the batters will catch on to you real quick but most pitchers will have more of one vs the other (imagine how boring it would be if all pitchers had the same skill)

I see this argument A LOT at the 8U,10U, 12U level and it comes down to the pitching coach philosophy... some teach speed over everything others teach accuracy first...

Here is my 2 cents on effectiveness:
8U: Accuracy will trump wild speed -- half the girls will not swing which means a lot of walks and coach pitch - a girl that can get it over the plate will usually fare well... there is NO MOVEMENT at this age (I dont care if parents say their girl has a nasty rise, curve, screw, knuckle and knows 5 pitches... they have ONE)

10U: Accuracy alone is going to become batting lesson. Effective pitchers at this age group either have to throw hard and be relatively accurate (get it close enough where girls decide they need to swing even if the corners arent always hit) and have a changeup so batters dont start guessing timing - OR - they need to have moderate speed but be extremely accurate and make effective use of the corners (inside, outside, low, high) - if you are slow and down the middle youre gonna get walloped

12U: You need to start having both accuracy and speed and movement starts becoming a factor at this age.. The rubber is further back allowing for some movement on the ball but batters have learned timing and bats have gotten faster.. if girls are just now learning speed they are going to get hit a lot

Anyways my two cents: you really need all three components for an effective pitcher specially at 12U and above...

May 17, 2012
I need to vent some. The game is called fastpitch softball. Not spinpitch. If speed isn't a factor when playing this game would it be called something else? Yes I agree you need to put movement on pitches. I'm tired of so many people saying you don't have to pitch fast to be good. Speed is important with movement on ball.

Again we call this game fastpitch for a reason!

Because I don't care how fast you can throw it, if it's straight, I can hit it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD works in the high 60's with great movement, but it is her control that is largely responsible for her success at the college level. From what I have seen accuracy in and of itself has the potential to provide success except at the very highest level. Even off a tee I see very few players that can hit a pitch on the river at the bottom of the strike zone. The majority of college pitchers throw between 55 and 60 mph. Add some minimal movement and the ability to change speed and a pitcher will be successful.

If you browse the many excellent gifs posted by knightsb note how many of the dingers were mistakes or even epic fails by the pitcher. The problem was not the movement or velocity, the problem was the location. Great pitchers make very few mistakes. Great hitters hit mistakes very hard.

Last edited:

MonkeyAbs

Information is power
Dec 30, 2013
Midwest
The 4 S's in order (also age wise to progress from apprentice to journeyman to master):

Speed: need speed to start with (not the fastest ever but you got to blow it by "average" batter in your age group) 8-11U starts it and DD should always work to increase speed.

Spot: Speed don't mean anything if you walk/hit every other batter. "See spot hit spot" learn that 2nd. 10U starts
it and this is where most skip that and go right to Spin. I've been in two conversations with a 9U and a 12U pitcher who both told me they threw 7 different pitches, really???? I warmed up both, they threw 1 and the rest did the same thing with a different body contortion at the stride/release. Couldn't locate the same spot 2 times in a row but had 7 different pitches, really?

Spin: 11U-13U and beyond, some batters become hitters (there is a difference - batter occupies a spot in the lineup, a hitter demands some respect and care). So to deceive the hitters, need to move the ball, especially up/down. Also includes time movement (think quality CU/Offspeed pitch that drops onto the tip of the back of the plate or just beyond for some easy grounders or swing misses). this is where dedication level starts to separate girls that can pitch from the one's that would like to pitch. Correct spins take time to get to journeyman level of control, never mind master.

Strategy: Once you have some level of command of the first three, now use your (catcher/pitcher not bucket dad) brains to play the mental game within the physical game. Set up batters/hitters by identifying their weaknesses and use the pitchers strengths (speed/spot/spin) to exploit the batter/hitter weakness. Does that work or is it easy, heck no but if you as a coach let the girls (or boys in baseball) work on that, you'd be surprised how well they can get into it.
The look on pitcher/catcher faces last year at 11U was priceless when you yell out to the 2nd baseman to be ready prior to the 4th pitch (the first three being inside somewhere) and the 4th a low outside FB actually is hit as a slow grounder right at the 2nd basemen for the third out. "see how that set-up worked?", they nod in awe......(works about 30% of the time but so what!!! still remember those moments!)

IS your or my DD a master at these 4 "S", no way but that seems like the critical sequence to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore