Spin, Speed or Spot??? in light of the WCWS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2021
The ESPN announcers were having a difficult time identifying pitches throughout the tournament. They were calling Rise v. Screw based on location. The super slow motion replay would show the same exact spin for both pitches. 5-11, off axis (nearly) bullet spin…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 23, 2021
I guess I should stay on topic. The correct order would be location, spin, speed. The caveat is you do need enough speed to compete at your level of play (You don’t see D1 pitchers in the low 50’s other than change-ups).

A pitcher with average speed for her respective level of play, and elite location and spin will dominate at any level.

Jun 23, 2021
I don't understand why this always comes up on here (actually I kind of have my suspicions .)

Why wouldn't you work on all three?

I don’t think anyone is saying you shouldn’t work on all three. Asking which one is most important doesn’t mean that the other two aren’t important.

That being said, training/coaching young pitchers is difficult. It is impossible to work on everything that you would like, so you have to prioritize. Overuse injuries and burnout/dropout are at epidemic levels.

Jun 8, 2016
That being said, training/coaching young pitchers is difficult. It is impossible to work on everything that you would like, so you have to prioritize. Overuse injuries and burnout/dropout are at epidemic levels.

I'll take your word for it. That said, while I certainly could be wrong, I doubt many parents of a kid who throws well above average speed for their age is coming on here and asking this question..

Apr 20, 2015
I think it somewhat depends on age but the reality is the best of the best are excellent at all 3. The next level are excellent at 1 and above average at the others. If you have average speed and want to succeed you better have above average spin/location. When kids are little or at the lower levels of the game speed can overcome a lot and since most people only know the lower levels they think speed is it!

May 13, 2021
These discussions always seems nonsensical. Of course speed matters, and it doesn't matter how many times people want to discount it. If it didn't college coaches wouldn't own a radar gun. It shortens reaction time and increases effectiveness of off speed pitches. Of course location matters you have to have speed and location one is no more important than the other if you want to pitch at a high level you better have all three.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802