Sometimes my DD is exasperating.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
My daughter is the same way. Dreads going to camps and lessons, but when she gets there she loves being there. I think she just likes being difficult.
They probably get a little nervous/anxious..Bill Russell used to throw up before every game...sullen in the car is at least better than that.. šŸ˜‚

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020
I had to disable my WiFi router temporarily to get DD out of her room while streaming Small Ville. It was rise ball spin day, what's a Dad supposed to do?
She has a shirt that says Softball, Naps & Netflix, I just have to navigate between those stages of her existence. A year and a half before she hits college ball, she better enjoy while she can.

Aug 15, 2021
This thread is making me feel better that it's not only me dealing with these situations. I mean I can guess that others have the same challenges, but it's nice to see real examples of the exact same behavior.

Jan 25, 2022
Total sullen teen at my house too with DD2 and vurtually anything not involving naps.

DD1 doesn't operate that way, but she's not playing this year. She's more the type to just disappear to the bathroom when she knows rhe subject of practice may be broached.

Does anyone else come off to their spouse as the demanding, softball crazed bad guy who seems to constantly be harping on about practicing? The relentless softball slave driver? The guy who kills the fun?

When in reality you're talking about it so much because it takes 5 days of prodding to achieve 1 or 2 days of her actually getting on board.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DD will be 15 in a couple months. As far as teens go, she's been relatively "easy". The usual stuff and moodiness, but that's par for the course at this age. Overall she's a happy kid who gets along with her younger siblings most of the time. She doesn't argue often and doesn't mind hanging out with us uncool folk watching sports or HGTV (DD loves interior design). She's happy to share things about her day or what's going on in school. All in all she's a good kid.

Her quirk, as it relates to practice....is that the settings have to be to her liking that day (they can change day to day) for her to feel like she wants to give maximum effort. It can be 20 degrees and snowing, but hitting inside is "so boring". Team has been doing off-season practices inside (again, because it's in the teens outside) for the past month...."I hate the lighting, why can't we go somewhere else?"

The thing I found the best for DD is giving her what the practice schedule is that week. If I don't, she sits on her butt all day until it's time to go to her performance training/workout or we've set time aside to go to the gym. A late announced "practice time" in the garage is like pulling teeth. And she will not go practice on her own. I have to ask. Which, I've just accepted, as when we do set a schedule she will stick to it. Mostly. Kids are fun......

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022
Her quirk, as it relates to practice....is that the settings have to be to her liking that day (they can change day to day) for her to feel like she wants to give maximum effort. It can be 20 degrees and snowing, but hitting inside is "so boring". Team has been doing off-season practices inside (again, because it's in the teens outside) for the past month...."I hate the lighting, why can't we go somewhere else?"

My DD2 is also 15 in a couple months. Very similar in this regard, but really it just comes down to whether she loves or hates softball that day.

I think what they (and our significant others) dont understand is that we aren't trying to harrass them or live vicariously through them. We're showing them that they can't just manifest something they want out of thin air. My poking and prodding about softball--which is also largely driven by my not wanting to see her consistently eating dirt in the circle if I could have prevented it--is helping her understand what you can achieve with just a modicum of actual effort. I could be SO MUCH more annoying about this (and well within my rights to do so) and she has no idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802