Someone explain this to me Hitting Hype

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I do my very, very best to not treat my players differently because they're girls. I try to treat them the same way I would a team of boys. HOWEVER... I think there really is one big difference (whether this is innate, learned, a societal thing, etc. I have no idea).

Most girls need to be hyped to play well. They feed off that energy, and if it's not there, the performance suffers. I don't get it because I'm a man and that was never, ever my style as a player. It didn't matter what kind of mood I was in or what kind of day I was having. On the field, all that mattered was what was on the field. But girls are different. When I was new to coaching, someone told me the difference is that boys need to play well to feel good, but girls need to feel good to play well. It sounds ridiculous, but the longer I'm around this game, the more and more I buy into it.

I now work hard (because, again, this is not in my nature) to create an atmosphere that has that positive energy. I don't get mad if they're not all up at the fence screaming, but I encourage the cheers. We stress, especially early in the season, to be talkative and to support teammates. And while that energy isn't a substitute for talent, I do think it helps at least a little bit.

Jul 31, 2015
love this👆🏻

Compliment to you.

You started this entertaining and fun thread concerning softball players acting in ways that delicate baseball fans find offensive. Heck, comparing softball player antics to even football players is deemed a total fail.

Some guys just can’t keep up!

#quelle horreur

#clutching my pearls

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Last edited:

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
A 13 (and counting) page thread started by a troll? Good times.

My perspective about demonstrative enthusiasm, including celebrations and cheers, is simple...it should be authentic and positive. As long as it is both of those, I have no real issue with it.

I do have a problem with negative cheers or disrespectful taunting-style actions. Couldn't stand the "Ball 2, Ball 2...Ball 3, Ball 3..." chant at 10U and am disappointed to see it still happening on the biggest stage.

To the poster (Core?) who asked how we'd feel if the pitcher yelled something like "Let's Go! Shut them down!" after striking out our daughter, I have no issue with that. However, if she said "Let's Go! Shut them down! These girls have nothing. They are all as bad as that last batter." I wouldn't be ok with that.

Jul 5, 2016
I remember and opposing coach loudly telling his batters that my daughter's pitches were meatballs. In this case, context is everything. Since they couldn't hit her, it was funny. If she was having a terrible day and was getting lit up, it wouldn't have been so funny.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
I remember and opposing coach loudly telling his batters that my daughter's pitches were meatballs. In this case, context is everything. Since they couldn't hit her, it was funny. If she was having a terrible day and was getting lit up, it wouldn't have been so funny.

Ok, that was my point. Couple people saying they would be fine with a pitcher getting all loud and jumping up and
down after striking out their dd...i kinda find it hard to believe they wouldnt mind. Human nature of a parent is to be
protective of their dd. BUT when someone gets a hit, people dont mind the batters going nuts at first. And im not talking
cheering and clapping.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ok, that was my point. Couple people saying they would be fine with a pitcher getting all loud and jumping up and
down after striking out their dd...i kinda find it hard to believe they wouldnt mind. Human nature of a parent is to be
protective of their dd. BUT when someone gets a hit, people dont mind the batters going nuts at first. And im not talking
cheering and clapping.

More is not always better...

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
To the poster (Core?) who asked how we'd feel if the pitcher yelled something like "Let's Go! Shut them down!" after striking out our daughter, I have no issue with that. However, if she said "Let's Go! Shut them down! These girls have nothing. They are all as bad as that last batter." I wouldn't be ok with that.

I was not the poster...I was just trying to make this a "real" thread and not where it was heading :)

So you would be ok with the pitcher jumping up and down, pumping her fist yelling lets go..shut them down
after K'ing your dd?

My whole thing was it seems the batter is let do almost anything, while the pitchers have to keep professional or they
are thought of as showing up batters

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
Cat Osterman was playing for the Olympic team screaming "sit down!" at at lest one of the Florida players after she struck
her out. This was in a meaningless exhibition game. Cat seems a tad intense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812