Someone explain this to me Hitting Hype

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Why are the women so over the top hyped up over a simple base hit, EVERY single base hit they show the batter on base SCREAMING let’s go!!!, stomping their feet, slamming down their arms etc etc. what ever happened to acting like you’ve done that and been there before. I understand if it’s a game winning hit but down 7-0 and getting a single and here comes the over the top hype.
It does seem ridiculous at times. Any hit in the final inning when your team is trying to come from behind to win is worth the enthusiasm, but a bloop base hit in (hypothetically) the 3rd inning with 2 outs and no one on base in a 4-1 game is a bit over the top. Doesn't matter much to me whether they do it, but I don't get it.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
A base hit against some of these pitchers is an accomplishment. I’ve seen Fouts and Garcia in person, behind home plate this year, and I’d be the first person in line volunteering to flex.

As someone with a daughter, please PLEASE get out of the way and let these girls have their game. Girls are already told to take up less space/act like “ladies” far too often.

If the ladies that play this game seem to find a way to be hyper-competitive and still celebrate one another then we should probably all take several seats and shut up about it.

It’s almost always people who haven’t done it who I see telling other people to act like they’ve done it before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure, it's an accomplishment to get a hit off of a top pitcher, but these are also top hitters. It's not about being surprised that they actually got a hit, because I'm sure they are not. It's just the culture of the game today. They are having fun and it doesn't hurt anyone. Just different from other sports and seems a bit over the top at times. But it's their game, not ours. I would rather see that than be put to sleep by baseball.

Dec 19, 2019
Concord, CA
When I read this, I thought of Dinihoo. What that girl did was amazing and her enthusiasm level matched her level of play. Each team has their "thing." However, I wasn't really in to the whole Gladiator, grabbing of the dirt. That being said, I far preferred that to some of the totally silly side-show, I need attention things I see after plays in the NFL.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ok my daughter asked me why players did this and I have no clue why. Anyone?

I don't get it either. When my daughter was playing 10u rec ball, she hit a foul tip that went a couple of feet above her head, immediately dropped, and hit her on the top of her helmet. She proceeded to step out of the box and rub her helmet as if that is what hurt. Kids....

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Ok my daughter asked me why players did this and I have no clue why. Anyone?

My guess would be the similar to wetting your fingers to count money or sort thru a stack of paper? Makes the finger tips sticky?

Jul 5, 2016
Licking the gloves might be a way of constantly strengthening your immune system, the thought being that you want to bombard your body with all manner of microbes found on batting gloves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee