Some rules to Ponder.......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
USSSA RULES:

When can the on-deck batter leave the on-deck circle?

What happens if the on-deck batter interferes?

The on-deck batter may leave the on-deck circle 1) when she becomes a batter, or 2) to direct runners advancing from third base to home plate

If the on-deck batter interferes with a defensive player's opportunity to make an out:

i) if it involves a runner, the runner closest to home plate at the time of the interference is out

ii) if it is with a fielder fielding a fly ball, the batter is out

iii) if no play is obvious, no player is out, but the ball is dead and runners must return to the last base touched at the time of the interference​

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
205. The pitcher is injured and has to leave the game. The defensive team does not have a substitute pitcher warming up or the substitute has just started to warm-up in the bullpen.

Ruling - When a relief pitcher replaces a pitcher who is injured, the umpire is authorized to grant the reliever additional warm-up pitches in excess of the five pitch/one minute limit (6.1.L EXCEPTION, p 36)

This one made me think of something that happened in one of our games recently (it's rec league, and we use basically modified NFHS rules; there was no issue at our game, but wondering what the actual rules say).

During the inning, the pitcher developed a calf cramp. They called time, she stretched it out a bit, and said she was feeling better. We allowed her a couple warm-up pitches to test it out (I think she only took one and said she was good). What do the rule sets say about allowing a pitcher this kind of pitch in the case of potential injury? I know you see it all the time in the Majors, so it's not an unheard of practice, but I was wondering what would happen if this situation occurred during some important travel ball game.

Oct 11, 2018
USSSA RULES:

201. A line drive hit ball is snared by F6. The force of the hit pulls the glove off her hand and carries it to the outfield grass.

Ruling - LIVE BALL; NO CATCH is ruled when, immediately after grasping, the fielder fails to maintain possession of the ball. This is also NOT a detached equipment violation since the glove is off the hand due to the force of the line drive and not deliberately thrown at the ball (3.Catch.B.7, p 19; 8.14.B.1, p 47)

I question the wording on this ruling. I don't think it should be ruled live "No Catch" [corrected] until the ball, or the glove with the ball in it, touches the ground. The ruling seems to say as soon as the fielder loses control it should be ruled no catch. Until it touches the ground or an offensive player, there is still the possibility to complete the catch.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
I question the wording on this ruling. I don't think it should be ruled live until the ball, or the glove with the ball in it, touches the ground. The ruling seems to say as soon as the fielder loses control it should be ruled no catch. Until it touches the ground or an offensive player, there is still the possibility to complete the catch.

My reading of the rule when it says carries it to the outfield grass would indicate the ball and glove were pulled off and landed on the ground in the grass. A catch can no longer be completed, the ball has by rule contacted the ground.

Oct 11, 2018
My reading of the rule when it says carries it to the outfield grass would indicate the ball and glove were pulled off and landed on the ground in the grass. A catch can no longer be completed, the ball has by rule contacted the ground.

I'm not arguing the play. I'm questioning the statement in the ruling that it is no catch immediately after "the fielder fails to maintain possession". I think you have to wait till the ball touches the ground before its ruled a no catch.

Aug 25, 2019
USSSA RULES:

206. R1 is on first base with no outs and B2 has a count of 3 balls and 2 strikes. The next pitch is delivered to B2 as R1 attempts to steal second base. B2 checks her swing, the umpire calls the pitch ball four, and R1 slows down between first and second base. F2 throws the ball to F4 who tags R1 before she gets to second base. F2 then requests that the plate umpire check with her partner to see if B2 swung at the pitch. The base umpire rules that the batter swung

Ruling - DEAD BALL and the batter is OUT on the strikeout; R1 is returned to first base. The plate umpire is authorized to rectify any situation in which the delay or reversal of an Umpire's decision places either team in jeopardy (14.12.R, p 63)

207. R1 is on first base with one out. She is running on the pitch and is obstructed by F3. B2 hits the pitched ball on the ground to F6, who fields the ball and tosses it to F4 for the force out on R1. F4's relay throw to first base is in time to retire B2.

Ruling - DELAYED DEAD BALL is signaled and OBSTRUCTION is called when the violation occurs, followed by a DEAD BALL when the obstructed runner is put out at second base. R1 is awarded second base and B2 is awarded first base

An obstructed runner may NOT be put out between the two bases where the OBS occurs (in this case, second and first bases), unless an exception applies. If the obstructed runner is put out between those two bases, or prior to reaching the base they would have made had there been no OBS, the ball becomes dead in order to make an award to the obstructed runner

The batter-runner is awarded first base when a fair ball (other than an infield fly) becomes dead, provided a previous runner doesn't interfere with an obvious double play

(8.5.D, p 44; 8.13, p 46; 10.3, p 57)

208. R1 is at third base with one out. B4 hits a pitched ball for a single. R1 advances toward home but misses the plate. She heads toward the dugout but her teammates physically push her back toward home plate. She safely retouches home before the defensive team can appeal.

Ruling - LIVE BALL, but R1 is declared out immediately when she is assisted. A runner is out when anyone other than another runner PHYSICALLY ASSISTS her while the ball is in play (8.18.Y, p 53)

209. R1 is at third base. The next pitched ball is a wild pitch and gets by F2. R1 charges home as the defense scrambles to cover home plate. F2 retrieves the ball and flips it toward home plate. The batter swings and hits the ball.

Ruling - DEAD BALL and the batter is OUT; R1 is returned to third base. A batter may not interfere by making any movement which hinders action at home plate (7.12, p 39-40)

Comment: this rule is the same in USSSA, USA SB (formerly ASA), and NFHS. It is different from NCAA Softball and most baseball codes. In Fastpitch softball below the collegiate level, the person who interferes is called out and the runner is returned

It is important to remember and clarify this at the time the INT is called -- especially if the out is the third out of the inning. Failure to do so can result in problems in the next inning if the team mistakenly leads off with the batter who interfered, thinking it was the runner on third that was called out

210. The batter swings at a pitch and hits the ball fair. The pitched ball contacted all or part of the batter's hand while she was holding the bat.

Ruling - DEAD BALL and the batter is charged with a STRIKE. The ball is dead immediately when a pitched ball hits the batter's person or clothing, including her hand(s), which ARE NOT CONSIDERED PART OF THE BAT. If the batter swings at the pitch, a strike is called, and if it is the third strike, the batter is out (8.4.D EXCEPTION 1 and EXCEPTION 2 NOTE 3, p 43)

QUICKIE QUIZ:

How is the Courtesy Runner determined?

The first priority is players who have not participated in the game in any other capacity (i.e. - an UNUSED substitute)

If there are no unused substitutes available, then (and only then) the Last Completed at Bat (LCAB) may serve as the courtesy runner

The LCAB is determined at the time the CR is requested, skipping batters:

1. currently on base,
  2. who are the pitcher or catcher of record, or
  3. who have already courtesy run for the other position in the same inning

In the top of the first inning, the LCAB CR shall be the person furthest away in the batting order

In Elite Select play, there is no LCAB CR option. If a team has no unused subs, they have no CR in Elite Select play

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
USSSA RULES:

211. R1 is on second base. B2 hits a pitched ball on the ground. The batted ball hits R1 while she is standing on second base. The runner does not intentionally interfere with the batted ball.

Ruling - LIVE or DEAD BALL, depending on the location of THE NEAREST FIELDER. If a runner is touching a base when hit by a fair ball, the runner is not out unless she intentionally interferes with the ball or a fielder making a play.

If the nearest fielder is:

i) in front of the base, then the ball remains LIVE and runners may attempt to advance at their own risk

ii)) behind the base, the ball is dead, the batter-runner is awarded first base, and other runners advance only if forced

(8.18.N EXCEPTION, p 52)

212. R1 is obstructed by F5 as she rounds third base. R1 continues toward home plate and flagrantly crashes into F2 who is blocking the plate and has yet to receive the ball.

Ruling - DELAYED DEAD BALL should be signaled and OBSTRUCTION should be called when the violation occurs at third base, and also at home plate when F2 obstructs. However, malicious contact SUPERSEDES the obstruction; when the crash occurs, the ball is DEAD, R1 is called OUT, and she is EJECTED (8.13.D.2, p 46)

Elaboration: Obstruction does not create a license for the runner to interfere or commit malicious contact

213. R1 is on second base. B2 takes a called strike three (caught by F2) for the first out of the inning. Meanwhile, R1 has moved off second base and is standing between the bases when F2 returns the pitched ball to F1 in the pitching circle. R1 makes no attempt to move in either direction.

Ruling - DEAD BALL and R1 is OUT for violating the LOOK-BACK RULE. When the ball is returned to F1 in the pitcher's circle, any runner who is stationary must IMMEDIATELY move directly back to the last base touched or attempt to advance to the next base (8.2, p 41)

Comment: if the third strike had been dropped, B2 would become a batter-runner, and even if the ball was returned to F1 in the circle, the Look-back Rule would not apply until B2 either reaches first base or is put out

214. The pitcher is removed from the pitching position in the fourth inning after four defensive conferences. The same pitcher returns to pitch in the sixth inning. The offensive team protests to the plate umpire after the batter grounds out to F3.

Ruling - the pitcher is an ILLEGAL PLAYER because, having been disqualified from the pitching position for the remainder of the game, she has no legal right to the pitching position. If properly protested after one pitch is thrown, BOTH the player AND her head coach are EJECTED

When an illegal player has made a defensive play (including the pitcher making a pitch) and discovery is made before the next pitch, the offensive team has the option of:

i) the RESULT OF THE PLAY, or
ii) replaying the last pitch (a "do-over")

(5.7.C, p 32-33; 5.7 PENALTY C, p 33)

215. The on-deck batter is using a a) donut, or b) fan attachment on the bat while warming up.

Ruling - ILLEGAL; nothing such as a donut or a fan may be used when loosening up (2.12, p 17)

QUICKIE QUIZ:

What is the score of a forfeited game?

If the game is in progress:

i) if the offending team is behind AND the number of innings required for a regulation game have been played, then the SCORE STANDS

II) otherwise, if the game is not regulation or if the offending team is ahead (i.e., the forfeiture creates a reversal in outcome), then the score is 7-0 in favor of the offended team

If the game is never started, then the score is 7-0 in favor of the offended team

Dec 15, 2018
CT
212. R1 is obstructed by F5 as she rounds third base. R1 continues toward home plate and flagrantly crashes into F2 who is blocking the plate and has yet to receive the ball.

Ruling - DELAYED DEAD BALL should be signaled and OBSTRUCTION should be called when the violation occurs at third base, and also at home plate when F2 obstructs. However, malicious contact SUPERSEDES the obstruction; when the crash occurs, the ball is DEAD, R1 is called OUT, and she is EJECTED (8.13.D.2, p 46)

Elaboration: Obstruction does not create a license for the runner to interfere or commit malicious contact

Had a version of this happen last weekend. R1 on third base, ground ball out to F5, late throw home, but catcher standing on the plate, R1 awkwardly pulls up, says "sorry" as she falls into catcher.

I had the obstruction called, then had to make a judgement on the collision. I did not think it was malicious, and determined that while she did collide she had made at least an effort to minimize / avoid it. So I had "safe", no interference.

It took a lot of explaining and definitely caused some grumbling.

May 29, 2015
208. R1 is at third base with one out. B4 hits a pitched ball for a single. R1 advances toward home but misses the plate. She heads toward the dugout but her teammates physically push her back toward home plate. She safely retouches home before the defensive team can appeal.

Ruling - LIVE BALL, but R1 is declared out immediately when she is assisted. A runner is out when anyone other than another runner PHYSICALLY ASSISTS her while the ball is in play (8.18.Y, p 53)

QUICKIE QUIZ:

How is the Courtesy Runner determined?

The first priority is players who have not participated in the game in any other capacity (i.e. - an UNUSED substitute)

If there are no unused substitutes available, then (and only then) the Last Completed at Bat (LCAB) may serve as the courtesy runner

The LCAB is determined at the time the CR is requested, skipping batters:

1. currently on base,
  2. who are the pitcher or catcher of record, or
  3. who have already courtesy run for the other position in the same inning

In the top of the first inning, the LCAB CR shall be the person furthest away in the batting order

In Elite Select play, there is no LCAB CR option. If a team has no unused subs, they have no CR in Elite Select play

On #208 ... I agree with the ruling. However, just to play Devil's Advocate ... I question the practice of still considering her a runner (in which case the rule applies). A runner who misses a base is presumed to have touched the base, absent a proper appeal. If she is assumed to have touched the base, she is assumed to no longer have the status of a (live) runner when she crosses home plate. The assist rule only applies to runners.

As for the Courtesy Runner quiz ... the proper answer is "What day is it?"

Aug 25, 2019
USSSA RULES:

216. R1 is on first base with one out. B3 has a count of one ball and two strikes. R1 is running with the release of the pitched ball. F2 drops the third strike and B3 beats F2's throw to first base. The defensive coach protests that R1 should be returned to first or called out for interference, because B3 confused F2 when she ran to first base when not entitled to do so under the third strike rule.

Ruling - LIVE BALL and NO VIOLATION; B3 is OUT on the strike out (since first base is occupied with less than two outs) and all runner advances are legal. The guiding principle is that the defense should be aware of the situation (that the batter is out). So, in general, there is no interference by a batter who runs to first base after being retired and draws an ill-advised throw from the catcher, because the catcher is responsible for knowing that a throw is unnecessary. The situation is the same as a batter who "runs out" a caught line drive to F6; if F6 makes a ill-advised throw to play on that batter at first base, when she should know the batter is out, it is NOT interference by the retired batter

However, if the retired batter actually interferes with a throw to play on another runner -- maybe an attempted pickoff at first base -- or if the retired batter continues to run towards second base after reaching first base, then INTERFERENCE BY A RETIRED RUNNER would be appropriate

Unsporting conduct could be ruled IF a retired batter, after remaining motionless or heading toward the dugout, reacts to being declared out by the plate umpire by ignoring the declaration and running in a obvious attempt to create confusion

(11.2.N, p 59)

217. R1 is on third base with no outs. B2 hits a pitched ball in the air to F9. R1 does not tag up and advances toward home plate. She touches home plate and then, thinking the ball may be caught, retouches home plate and retreats toward third base. F9 is unable to catch the fly ball and R1, seeing this (during her retreating steps), goes directly to the dugout, figuring she has scored a run. The defense protests that R1 has committed a base running violation.

Ruling - the RUN COUNTS and NO VIOLATION; R1 has scored a legal run by touching first, second, third and home bases in succession. Even though her actions are confusing, they are legal. Retouching home does not negate a legally scored run because of runner's belief that she had left base early on a caught fly ball that was, in fact, UNCAUGHT (4.2.A, p 26)

Comment: R1 is a retired runner, and as such, she does have a responsibility to not interfere. If a retired runner interferes and, in the judgment of the umpire, another runner could have been put out, the ball is dead and the umpire shall declare the runner closest to home out

218. R1 is on second base and R2 is on first base with no outs. B3 hits the next pitched ball out in front of home plate. B3 interferes with F2, who is attempting to field the batted ball.

Ruling - DEAD BALL and INTERFERENCE; R1 is OUT for INTERFERING with F2's initial play on a batted ball. The runners must return to the base they had legally touched at the time of the interference (8.12, p 46; 8.18.G, p 50)

219. S1 bats for F1 in the bottom half of the inning. After S1 gets a double, the offensive coach requests a Courtesy Runner for S1, because she is the relief pitcher and needs to warm up to pitch the next inning.

Ruling - ILLEGAL; S1 is not the pitcher of record. The pitcher of record is the last player to physically play that position on defense (except in the top of the first inning, when it is the player listed as pitcher on the lineup card) (8.3.G, p 42)

220. R1 is on third base and R2 is on first base with two outs. B5 hits a pitched ball on the ground toward F4, who picks up the ball and chases R2 back toward first base. F4 tags R2 a) before, or b) after R1 touches home plate.

Ruling - in a) and b), this is a FORCE PLAY and NO RUNS SCORE. A play on any runner who loses the right to the base occupied and is forced to advance because the batter becomes a batter-runner is a FORCE PLAY. A run scored does not count when the third out is a force out (3.FORCE PLAY, p 21; 4.2.C.1, p 26)

QUICKIE QUIZ:

When is a STRIKE charged to the batter?

i) when a pitch enters any part of the strike zone in flight and is not struck at
ii) when a pitch is prevented from entering the strike zone due to the batter's actions
iii) when a pitch is swung at and missed
iv) when a pitch becomes a foul ball
v) when a pitch becomes a foul tip (even on strike three)
vi) when an attempted bunt becomes an uncaught foul
vii) when the batter delays and incurs a penalty strike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802