Softball's Secret Weapon- The Triple Threat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2021
It is awesome that you found a better fit for your DD.

Just wondering if you had a talk with the old coach? Sometimes it is not as simple as you might think.

Personally, I love triple threats on my team. Last season I had a natural lefty that was a power hitter that thought she was a triple threat, but she wasn’t fast enough. I never called a slap for her.

She has the talent to potentially play D1, but it won’t be as a slapper…

This may not have been the case for you, but it is always nice to have a conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The question I have is this. How many are out of the box that the ump does not see or call? Damn slappers, they chap my rear. lol
That's a good point. Think they tried to tighten/clarify that rule to make it a clear call. (easier to call?)
There's just so much going on with the pitch coming, with movement of the batter, and then bat.
Plate umpire has a lot to decipher in a split moment.

Kind of interpret it the same as how runners get away with leaving the base early.

People sometimes say softball is a game of inches. Like to think it is a game of tenths of a second. All these little strategy moments add up.
=Pressure on the defense.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The question I have is this. How many are out of the box that the ump does not see or call? Damn slappers, they chap my rear. lol
Out of the box rule question: Is it being out of the front of the box only? Or does the side of the box count as an infraction of the rule too?

Also, home field conditions can help out the slapping team. The harder the surface the higher the ball bounces and the more likely batter will be safe at first. It is more than just pure speed that makes a great slapper. All the speed in the world won't do you a bit of good if you can't slap it first. The ones that can do it are pitcher's worst nightmare.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Out of the box rule question: Is it being out of the front of the box only? Or does the side of the box count as an infraction of the rule too?

Also, home field conditions can help out the slapping team. The harder the surface the higher the ball bounces and the more likely batter will be safe at first. It is more than just pure speed that makes a great slapper. All the speed in the world won't do you a bit of good if you can't slap it first. The ones that can do it are pitcher's worst nightmare.
Good point!
Field conditions IS a factor.
Remember doing some training on different College Fields it was surprising how dead the dirt was on one particular College field hardly no bounce.
It absorbed the energy from the ball being hit down.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Good point!
Field conditions IS a factor.
Remember doing some training on different College Fields it was surprising how dead the dirt was on one particular College field hardly no bounce.
It absorbed the energy from the ball being hit down.
They either didnt have any slappers or were not very smart. LOL

Jun 8, 2016
This isn’t a new thing. For 140 years MLB teams who bunted a lot or had a lot of pitchers who induced a lot of GB would grow out the grass in the IF..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
They either didnt have any slappers or were not very smart. LOL
That or perhaps it threw off the timing of other defenses that weren't used to it having to charge balls more 🤷‍♀️

... gets me thinking about equipment standards and having field standards have standards.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013

DD’s slapping coach always told her to go onto the field before a game and throw a ball hard onto the dirt. If it bounced well she would chop slap. No bounce and she would soft-slap or hard-slap into the 5-6 hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802