softball armband

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
Hi, i’m Mia, i’m 13. Some people have already talked to me but i’m starting freshman high school in like 2 weeks and i’ve never played travel ball but i did city league my whole life. Which means i’ve never had an armband. I’m not sure if we even have to wear them but i’m guessing we will. i’m already really nervous and just need help knowing how to read one.

Jul 3, 2013
The coaches will definitely teach you how to read those. They are not complicated.

You may put this issue on the list of things to not worry about.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mia

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
Ok. Thank you so much. I just don’t want to be the only one that doesn’t know cause i have a feeling i will be. Also, what should i expect at in gym tryouts in 2 weeks?

May 16, 2016
Illinois
The arm bands are usually very easy to understand.

Our teams arm bands are just a grid with that runs horizontal and vertical. Below is a picture of a pitching card that I found on Google. Same idea if it was a hitting card. Coach generally will use his fingers to call the sign, or pitch. The cards are generally only numbered 0-5 because that is how many fingers you have on one hand.

Example

111 would be fastball in (FBI)
211 would changeup (CH)
231 would be fastball away (FBA)

1609645521332.png

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
The arm bands are usually very easy to understand.

Our teams arm bands are just a grid with that runs horizontal and vertical. Below is a picture of a pitching card that I found on Google. Same idea if it was a hitting card. Coach generally will use his fingers to call the sign, or pitch. The cards are generally only numbered 0-5 because that is how many fingers you have on one hand.

Example

111 would be fastball in (FBI)
211 would changeup (CH)
231 would be fastball away (FBA)

View attachment 20594
this helps a lot! do all look the same? thank you!

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Not all the same, but all the same concept.

There may also be offensive codes on them such as hit away, take (a pitch), steal, delay steal, bunt, etc...

May 16, 2016
Illinois
One more variation. This one allows the coach to change the number that is important every inning.

For example lets say it is the first inning and the first sign is the only number that means anything. Coach could call

A- 2134 which would be FB In
B- 3214 would be Drop In

Remember that the only number that means anything is the first number, all the rest are dummy signs.

Then in the 2nd inning, the 2nd number would be the only number that means anything.

Second inning for example

A- 2134 would mean - low change
B3214 would mean - curve out.

Then in the 3rd inning only the third number would mean anything.

APITCHPITCHB
0FB MIDDLECURVE IN0
1LOW CHANGECURVE OUT1
2FB INDROP LOW & OUT2
3FB OUTDROP IN3
4FB 4" OUTFB HIGH & IN4
5DROPCHANGE LOW OUT5
6CURVE OUTFB MIDDLE6
7FB LOW & OUTRISE7
8CHANGECURVE 4" OUT8
9FB HIGH & OUTCHANGE 4" OUT9

Reactions: Mia