Small Freshman Signing Classes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
They must be proactive, seems pretty risky otherwise if they take this approach.

DDs school signed 5 in 2022 and only 2 in 2023, roster of 26 I think. We’ll see if they pick up a transfer.

I would not call my DD a stud, but she is an incoming freshman there to pitch and compete against 2 seniors to get some meaningful innings next spring. She had a fantastic fall season but spring is a whole different animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think your dd will get a lot of innings with just 2 other pitchers. My DD’s team currently has 3 (including her) and they definitely could use at least one more with how their game schedule works.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I sort of do as well but at the same time a stud freshmen could come in and take your position as well 🤷‍♂️ .

Not sure how healthy this is from a mental perspective unless you are also blessed with great ability (eg for every Larry Bird,Tom Brady,Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant there are 1000 athletes who can outwork everybody and they will still get passed over because of limited talent), but great athletes are often more motivated by fear than anything else. Larry Bird said he was always worried that there was some kid out there practicing more than he was...
And then you have the Alan Iversons of the world. "Practice?"

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
Transfer portal and Covid extra year players killed recruiting for 2023's. Some coaches may have spots, but no money since they carried players an extra year but scholarships didn't increase. As stated, what may typically have been a Power 5 go mid major, mid majors are d2/d3/NAIA. I also know numerous girls who quit altogether with a D1 or bust mentality, and others simply wanted a specific school with or without softball.

One school told us DD would be 1 of 7 pitchers, possibly. My DD wants to play and contribute, doesn't want to be on a 30 person roster, etc...so it's a compromise. As of today, she is 1 of 4 for her class.

May 21, 2015
South
It is absolutely impossible to predict or imagine your DD's college experience, Hope that you have raised a strong motivated athlete and sit back for the ride. Be a support for your DD during the lows and find as much joy as possible during the highs. The entire college experience will turn out completely different than you expect.

May 27, 2013
It is absolutely impossible to predict or imagine your DD's college experience, Hope that you have raised a strong motivated athlete and sit back for the ride. Be a support for your DD during the lows and find as much joy as possible during the highs. The entire college experience will turn out completely different than you expect.

So true!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD had a high yesterday. She texted me that she maxed on Trap Bar Dead Lift 300lbs. She doesn't normally talk about her weights. She said she started crying because that target was one of her goals at the beginning of the semester. The trainer thought she was crying because she got hurt. She also is realizing this is the beginning of lots of "lasts" this year. Told her to soak it all in...even the lows. Because those lows will be better than many future adult moments. Made my heart smile.

Next conversation was about adding more money to her roth ira that she started this semester. She thinks she is behind! I had absolutely no money in college and never gave a thought about investing.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Baylor only signs 3 for the '23 class. Very interesting! I have noticed other teams with small signing classes as well. I assume College Coaches are willing to take on less risk by signing HS kids and now relying on known players through the Transfer Portal.
Yep!

Also their already bloated rosters. Anyone else seeing this among their local college programs???

A small sample that I just looked at.
Baylor-3
Oklahoma-4
Sam Houston-4

https://baylorbears.com/news/2022/11/10/softball-sb-adds-three-to-signing-class.aspx

Sep 3, 2015
I would think your dd will get a lot of innings with just 2 other pitchers. My DD’s team currently has 3 (including her) and they definitely could use at least one more with how their game schedule works.

There are a few more pitchers, I meant competing for one of the top spots.

They also brought in a transfer this year, junior from the SEC. Forgot about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802