Small Freshman Signing Classes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Baylor only signs 3 for the '23 class. Very interesting! I have noticed other teams with small signing classes as well. I assume College Coaches are willing to take on less risk by signing HS kids and now relying on known players through the Transfer Portal. Also their already bloated rosters. Anyone else seeing this among their local college programs???

A small sample that I just looked at.
Baylor-3
Oklahoma-4
Sam Houston-4

https://baylorbears.com/news/2022/11/10/softball-sb-adds-three-to-signing-class.aspx

Jun 8, 2016
I assume College Coaches are willing to take on less risk by signing HS kids and now relying on known players through the Transfer Portal.
If this option is available, why wouldn't you do this? The real question is do these coaches wait to see who enters the portal or are they a bit more "proactive" about it..I think I know the answer to this...

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Less chairs available when the music stops playing because of extra Covid years and Portal. Where are those players going instead of these schools? Instead of P5, they go to a mid major, Instead of mid major they go Juco and bide their time. OR they choose D2, D3. High quality players are pushed down the food chain. You would think some of those programs will benefit from having better players. Right?

Another thought. How many of those kids end up quitting? How many first year freshman players sign for fall of '23 vs '22 vs '21 vs '20? Does that number show a decrease?

Aug 5, 2022
It depends on where their big classes were when the COVID year affected them. Ky signed 7 in 23 and Louisville had a big class as well IU only 4 I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If this option is available, why wouldn't you do this? The real question is do these coaches wait to see who enters the portal or are they a bit more "proactive" about it..I think I know the answer to this...
I was wondering if there set rules in place about coaches communication with other teams players?
Also heard stories of coaches calling in players ( recruits that didn't pan out) for a chat and informing them that they will never see the field in their program in an effort to get them to enter the portal and free up money's for other players. The portal is a two edged sword. It can be a risky and dirty. business.

Jun 8, 2016
I actually feel bad for the players who have been on these teams who think their time is finally now only to see a transfer come in for the same position.
I sort of do as well but at the same time a stud freshmen could come in and take your position as well 🤷‍♂️ .

Not sure how healthy this is from a mental perspective unless you are also blessed with great ability (eg for every Larry Bird,Tom Brady,Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant there are 1000 athletes who can outwork everybody and they will still get passed over because of limited talent), but great athletes are often more motivated by fear than anything else. Larry Bird said he was always worried that there was some kid out there practicing more than he was...

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I sort of do as well but at the same time a stud freshmen could come in and take your position as well 🤷‍♂️ .

Not sure how healthy this is from a mental perspective unless you are also blessed with great ability (eg for every Larry Bird,Tom Brady,Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant there are 1000 athletes who can outwork everybody and they will still get passed over because of limited talent), but great athletes are often more motivated by fear than anything else. Larry Bird said he was always worried that there was some kid out there practicing more than he was...

Yeah, I get what you’re saying about the stud freshman coming in but for some reason the transfer thing just seems different to me. It’s almost like the coach never felt that the current player was good enough so they found another seasoned player to take the role. With freshmen recruits, you’re always trying to backfill positions every year or every other year it seems. I would also imagine the freshman would have to prove themself, whereas the transfer most likely has through previous play.

I know the current player has to step up and internal competition is good, but it’s got to be a crappy feeling if you’re a junior and your coach takes on a junior transfer for your position.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I was wondering if there set rules in place about coaches communication with other teams players?
Also heard stories of coaches calling in players ( recruits that didn't pan out) for a chat and informing them that they will never see the field in their program in an effort to get them to enter the portal and free up money's for other players. The portal is a two edged sword. It can be a risky and dirty. business.
DD former TB teammate went to a P5 team and to be honest all of us parents and the players didn't think it made sense. She dominated in 16U on a second tier franchise team. Looked the part and was strong. Heard later the coach said something to the affect of "was sold a bill a bill of goods." This is hearsay. The player was on the team all 4 years didn't play a whole lot but stuck around and got her degree from a fine school. The coach could have pushed her out, but the coach is a good person. Perhaps she didn't get much scholly and the parents were okay with that. She chased a lot of foul balls during her career.

And yes, those stories are true about sending the players on their way. Over recruit, players compete, fall evaluations, one on ones, transfer portal. ex. ULL

While we are talking Dirty Business. Here's a little Dirty Business from greatest band in the land. WSMFP!!!

Sep 3, 2015

They must be proactive, seems pretty risky otherwise if they take this approach.

DDs school signed 5 in 2022 and only 2 in 2023, roster of 26 I think. We’ll see if they pick up a transfer.

I would not call my DD a stud, but she is an incoming freshman there to pitch and compete against 2 seniors to get some meaningful innings next spring. She had a fantastic fall season but spring is a whole different animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28