Slump Busting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2016
So my 16 yo DD has always been a good hitter. Not a ton of power but very consistent. Her swing hasn’t changed but this fall she has just not been her normal self. Where she was once in top 3 or 4 of her team hitting in the .400’s she’s towards the bottom in the low .200’s.

She went to a new team with a few of last years team mates, and she is playing against some tougher competition so I can certainly attribute some to that. But I also think after the 1st couple of poor tournaments her confidence is taking a hit.

I know there’s not an easy button, but wanting to get some thoughts on maybe some of your DD’s struggles and how they were able to overcome them.

Thanks
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD just joined a new team in the fall as a 2nd year 14U. She was hitting 600 with her previous team. She was the lead off with the highest slugging avg. Yet, on this new team, most players couldn't hit. Many just moved up from 12U, yet we were going to all these 14U Select A tournaments, so they never saw a ball from 43 ft, let alone 60MPH pitches. (Once DD pitched to her teammate a curveball during practice, and the girl asked, "What kind of pitch was that?" Yup, they never saw a curveball or a screwball, and got to play select A with 4 weeks of practice. That's another story in itself. )

DD started out great, then it seemed bad hitting was contagious. She ended the season at 200. Yup, she never batted 200 in a season in her entire life. Hopefully that's behind her now since she just left that team and moved to a true 2nd-yr 14U team. (Again, another story in itself.) I hear you, until DD proves herself on this new team, she's not going to be happy with her hitting.

Mar 12, 2016
Left Coast
When DD finished her summer season as a 15 she was asked to play on a competitive 18U Fallball team. Although she was asked be on the team because of her bat, the coaches didn't like her swing and starting "fixing" it at the first practice. When she asked me if she should change her swing I told her to do what she was being taught and see what happened. She did and went 2 for 13 in the first three showcases.

After watching her go from supreme confidence to no confidence at the plate, I asked her if she wanted to go back to her old swing. She said yes and a week later she was back into her old swing. The coaches noticed her swing reverted but they also notice she was hitting the ball much harder and to all fields. She went 8 for 14 with 5 extra base hits including three dingers in the next three showcases. One of the coaches told me he didn't understand her swing but there was no disputing the results.

Are you sure the coaches on the new team aren't changing your DDs swing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee