Slump Busting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Excellent insight and self-reflection. Thank you, I'll keep this in mind with my girls. Studies and school come first in our family, and I'm sure that will impact softball.
Both my fiance and my parents are like you. They made us take our studies seriously before we did any sport or extracurricular activity. For instance, my fiance, he played sax and soccer. But he worked his butt off to keep up an A average. His parents did the same thing for his older sister. She's since graduated from a small university in Southern Virginia and works as a charge nurse in a big hospital in Southern Virginia and has two little girls. His parents do the same thing for the kids that are still at home. My parents did the same thing with my older brother, my younger sister, and are starting up with my younger brother since he wants to play Cal Ripken League baseball and Pop Warner football.

Jun 8, 2016
I can tell you what will not work, slinging your bat and helmet after a bad AB (ask me how I know..)

I will say TB can be rough on slumps depending on how you are wired..have a bad weekend and then don't play for a week..ughh. The fact that she moved up in level of competition and started to struggle probably means there is some mechanical stuff that needs cleaning up but that is the case for 99% of hitters. If she is working hard to get better and getting good instruction then the only other thing I would say (outside of getting her eyes checked..I started wearing contacts when I was 16..unfortunately they irritated the heck out of my eyes so I am not even sure they helped..) would be for you not to dwell on it with her.

Edit: If she has a hitting instructor, are you sending game video to him/her?

Last edited:

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I can tell you what will not work, slinging your bat and helmet after a bad AB (ask me how I know..)

I will say TB can be rough on slumps depending on how you are wired..have a bad weekend and then don't play for a week..ughh. The fact that she moved up in level of competition and started to struggle probably means there is some mechanical stuff that needs cleaning up but that is the case for 99% of hitters. If she is working hard to get better and getting good instruction then the only other thing I would say (outside of getting her eyes checked..I started wearing contacts when I was 16..unfortunately they irritated the heck out of my eyes so I am not even sure they helped..) would be for you not to dwell on it with her.
It could also be a matter of getting used to hitting off of the higher-level pitching. I know I had to get used to hitting off of a different level pitching from HS to TB.

I can speak from experience when it comes to contacts. I got them when I was your age. Thankfully, I got mine when I was cheerleading, but still, I had to get used to them and my eyes itched and burned so bad. I think allergies contributed to it. Now, I'm so used to wearing contacts, it feels so funny to wear glasses now. But, I'm thinking about maybe getting LASIK this summer.

Jun 8, 2016
It could also be a matter of getting used to hitting off of the higher-level pitching. I know I had to get used to hitting off of a different level pitching from HS to TB.
True but that would be a timing thing mostly which at 16 YO would normally take care of itself after a while.
I can speak from experience when it comes to contacts. I got them when I was your age. Thankfully, I got mine when I was cheerleading, but still, I had to get used to them and my eyes itched and burned so bad. I think allergies contributed to it. Now, I'm so used to wearing contacts, it feels so funny to wear glasses now. But, I'm thinking about maybe getting LASIK this summer.
Contacts are better now..that was 30 years ago when I got mine. My eyes would get so dry that I would have to carry drops around during the games...after the game you could see a red mark all around my eye where the contact was. I only wore them for games and have never worn them since.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
True but that would be a timing thing mostly which at 16 YO would normally take care of itself after a while.

Contacts are better now..that was 30 years ago when I got mine. My eyes would get so dry that I would have to carry drops around during the games...after the game you could see a red mark all around my eye where the contact was. I only wore them for games and have never worn them since.
Your right about it being a timing issue. It may also be mechanical. Especially if it has been a while she's had the issue.

I don't know what contacts were like 30 years ago. It sounds like they sucked. I do carry moisturizing drops because I do seem to get dry, itchy eyes from allergies. That's one of the reasons I'm exploring getting LASIK done. I'm getting tired of wearing glasses and contacts. Plus, it would be easier with having allergies not having to worry about contacts and can just put my moisurizing and allergy drops in my eyes. I'm debating having it done near my home in Philly or getting it done at a place near my fiance near DC.

Oct 4, 2018
Your right about it being a timing issue. It may also be mechanical. Especially if it has been a while she's had the issue.

I don't know what contacts were like 30 years ago. It sounds like they sucked. I do carry moisturizing drops because I do seem to get dry, itchy eyes from allergies. That's one of the reasons I'm exploring getting LASIK done. I'm getting tired of wearing glasses and contacts. Plus, it would be easier with having allergies not having to worry about contacts and can just put my moisurizing and allergy drops in my eyes. I'm debating having it done near my home in Philly or getting it done at a place near my fiance near DC.

They were rigid. Not flexible. It was like putting a chip of glass in your eye.

One bad blink and they'd pop out and fly across the room.

Everything about them (other than being able to see) was horrible.

Jun 8, 2016

I had soft contacts but they still sucked. I have a stigmatism so supposedly that was an issue with fit back then.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I had soft contacts but they still sucked. I have a stigmatism so supposedly that was an issue with fit back then.
I have soft contacts. I have a slight astigmatism as well as being nearsighted. Torix lenses were a gamechanger. Mine are comfortable unless it's fall when my allergies are their worst. Then it feels like there's a piece of sand against my eyeball.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate

Oh, man, That would suck so bad. I'm glad I have soft torix lenses. It helps so much with my astigmatism. I do have problems with them popping out if they don't suck to my eyeball just right.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23