Slapping Rules (College vs Travel / High School)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
USA/USSS A the entire foot has to be outside the box to be called out both fair and foul ball.
As for.strike zone, I went to state umpire school last.month, they taught the strike zone is one softball wide on the inside of plate, two baseballs wide on the outside of plate

I see what you did there ... and now the locals are all riled up.

For further strike zone discussion ... I did this instead of grading papers.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
There have been some good conversations about umpire training on the Forum. Unfortunately there's not much training provided. And there's not much assessment of active umpires.

When there is training the probability is that those training opportunities will differ from each other. 🤷‍♀️
You are correct. Most orgs provide little or no training.
Umpires will not come to training because they know they don’t have too, because there is a shortage of them……they now have the power, unfortunatel.

Jul 27, 2021
Looks like my opening. This past weekend we got the pleasure to have 2 BAD umps. Maybe the worst that we have ever had.

The plate ump had a strike zone like a star fish. PU was also "able" to see untied shoes all the way to SS and 2nd baseman but could never help on play at 1st or 3rd base.

The BU was never in position to make a good call ..... so it was only a guess. BU was never close to the play and never perpendicular to see all the aspects. Wrong calls all day.

USA/USSS A the entire foot has to be outside the box to be called out both fair and foul ball.
As for.strike zone, I went to state umpire school last.month, they taught the strike zone is one softball wide on the inside of plate, two baseballs wide on the outside of plate
That is insane. Just ridiculous.
Strike zone is very exact. Its not hard when you are that close. Not up for debate, not imaginary....easily seen, measured, quantifiable.....

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Looks like my opening. This past weekend we got the pleasure to have 2 BAD umps. Maybe the worst that we have ever had.

The plate ump had a strike zone like a star fish. PU was also "able" to see untied shoes all the way to SS and 2nd baseman but could never help on play at 1st or 3rd base.

The BU was never in position to make a good call ..... so it was only a guess. BU was never close to the play and never perpendicular to see all the aspects. Wrong calls all day.
This was funny reading
Strike zone of a star fish great imagination!

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
It's will never be applied the same. Have had my DD called out twice in one game, but not once in the other 6 games on a weekend. Some umps really like that call. I don't mind it if it's applied correctly but most of the time my DD has been called out on it, i've gone back to the game stream and she was clearly inside the box at the time of contact. She just shrugs it off at this point.

Mar 24, 2014
Parent when their kid is at bat: "Every umpire should always call a Major League strike zone!"
Same parent when their kid is pitching: "Come on, blue! You got to help us here!"
Other parents: "Oh my god! Call a strike or we will be here all year!"
:rolleyes:

As for the OP ...

As of a few years ago NCAA changed the rule to require the batter be entirely INSIDE the lines. That means touching any ground outside the line is NOT inside the lines.

NFHS, USA, USSSA and I don't know how many others still declare the batter is IN the box as long as some part of their foot is touching the line.

NOW ... here is the kicker ... if your umpire is calling the NCAA rule, are they applying the correct penalty? (HINT: If they called the batter out, the answer is NO.)

NCAA 11.2.5 At the moment of bat-ball contact, the batter may not contact the pitch when any part of their body is touching home plate or the ground outside the lines of the batter’s box.

EFFECT—Delayed dead ball is signaled. The coach of the defensive team shall choose either the result of the play or the standard effect for illegal contact, which is a strike on the batter and all base runners must return to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch. If it is the third strike, the batter is declared out.
Notes:
1. The batter’s hands may leave the bat before bat-ball contact.

2. In cases in which there are no batter’s box lines evident, good judgment must be used, and the benefit of any doubt must go to the batter.
This is what I was looking for, the rule number for NCAA. Would there be a rule like this for travel / high school that states your foot could be partially on the line without any issues?

Mar 24, 2014
Appreciate all the comments! Looking for the specific rule for both college and high school / travel ball is for my reference and to share with the players and parents. Not looking to argue with the umpires and the parents are pretty chill and most stay in the outfield.

It's tough to make that call as an umpire with a fresh batters box and even tougher as the games goes on.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Appreciate all the comments! Looking for the specific rule for both college and high school / travel ball is for my reference and to share with the players and parents. Not looking to argue with the umpires and the parents are pretty chill and most stay in the outfield.

It's tough to make that call as an umpire with a fresh batters box and even tougher as the games goes on.

USA is 7.6.F: The batter is out when: an entire foot is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter's box at the time the ball makes contact with the bat

Dec 30, 2011
Off the plate...Is that your guesstimation as a coach watching from the dugout/ sides of the field, or from behind the plate?
* the strike zone is what the Umpire is calling
➡️ that is most relevant.

* they are stepping on the line. Height has nothing to do with where they are stepping.

Good questions and conversation for readers!
Same pitch to a non slapper is usually a ball. Very irritating! been going on for years. I think we need more women umpires. Maybe those who have actually played the game of fastpitch rather than baseball or, ugh, football. I think slapping is still not accepted by some of these people. Think in reality. What is more exciting a home run or a awesome slap by a very fast ATHLETE who is safe at first base. Home runs are great but a great slapper safe at first base is world class. So is her speed. Slapping is a very athletic art. The work that goes into becoming good at slapping is unbelievable. I don't think many umpires understand this. Some don't care. A few are trying. Many thanks to those few.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog