Slapping Rules (College vs Travel / High School)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
I might struggle with that and I hope that others give me better advice if I am wrong. The challenge is that you're watching the ball until the point that it hits the bat. Then you look down and see the foot on the ground. I don't think I would know if the foot had been there for a full second or a 0.1 second so I don't know that I would know the foot's exact location at the time of impact.

I do know that some umpires seem to want to call it at least once per game to prove they are doing their job or something (just like I know of one umpire that will call at least one illegal pitch to prove the point but that also might just be a cynical observation).
I hate making this call (though I will when I am absolutely certain) even when I do see it because I know I don't see it every time. I agree that there are some who seem to be dying to call it at least once a game just to show everyone that they are watching closely.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I might struggle with that and I hope that others give me better advice if I am wrong. The challenge is that you're watching the ball until the point that it hits the bat. Then you look down and see the foot on the ground. I don't think I would know if the foot had been there for a full second or a 0.1 second so I don't know that I would know the foot's exact location at the time of impact.

This is kind of my point. You can't see the very close ones. But you can see if a batter is stepping on/in front of home plate.

I'm actually defending umpires here. It's a near impossible call for the PU to see, which means it should basically never be called.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I hate making this call (though I will when I am absolutely certain) even when I do see it because I know I don't see it every time. I agree that there are some who seem to be dying to call it at least once a game just to show everyone that they are watching closely.

I understand this, but I don't think you need to have that mindset. I kind of look at it like leaving early (when there's only a PU). You're not going to notice a runner leaving early at 1B/3B 99% of the time, but when the runner leaves first so soon that she enters your peripheral vision before the pitcher releases, you call it, right? You don't worry about the close ones you missed. You call the one you see.

And I think most coaches would understand your explanation. "I cannot see some of those close ones because I have to watch the pitch, but the one I called was too obvious to miss." I hear that, and I'm saying OK and going back to the dugout.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee