Skills video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
Stupid question but how do you all email a skills video. Everything we make says its too big to email.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I would recommend creating a dedicated YouTube channel for your player. You can make the video's unlisted if you are concerned about security, but I don't recommend it. You want to make this information easy to find. I would have a specific video uploaded that you want to highlight and share the link to that video with the coach. But having other videos, say clips from game footage, gives them an option to view something other than a staged video if they want to look a little more.

After upload, I would also view each of the videos a couple of times. Since your view counter is publicly visible, it's probably not the best idea to share a video link that has zero views. Eventually your video will get viewed by several coaches, but you want to make sure that first coach doesn't know they are the first. I would turn off comments in each of the video's but have contact information in the about section of the YouTube channel.

Dec 6, 2019
We make them unlisted. One, because she is a minor and the videos have her cell phone and email on them. Two, so high schools can't use them for scouting purposes (I'm in the "scouting department" for our HS team and we absolutely do this). Our assumption is that a coach isn't going to randomly stumble on to her videos and become interested.

Nov 5, 2014
Another thing you can do with unlisted videos is track who watches. It is more work but if you upload the video privately multiple times with a title specific to each school and only send the link to the specified school you can then track how often and how long those coaches watch the video. So for example if you were interested in 2 schools Big State U and Small State U...

Upload the same video to youtube twice once with a title like Jane Doe's Fall Highlights for Big State U and once with Jane Doe's Fall Highlights for Small State U. Then send Big States coaches the link to their video and vice versa for Small States coaches. You now have 2 unique videos on youtube you can track the viewing stats on and because it is private and you only sent the links to those schools you will know if, when, and how long they watched.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
We make them unlisted. One, because she is a minor and the videos have her cell phone and email on them. Two, so high schools can't use them for scouting purposes (I'm in the "scouting department" for our HS team and we absolutely do this). Our assumption is that a coach isn't going to randomly stumble on to her videos and become interested.

Totally agree about not stumbling onto the channel. But one thing to consider is that once coaches are pointed to your channel for the specific video you shared, they won't be able to see other videos if they are unlisted. It's perhaps a non issue if your skills video gets their attention.

Apr 28, 2014
I've been saying this for a while. Best decision we made was signing up for capitanU.
$20/month and you upload as many videos as you like. Also send all emails to coaches from that site. Simply use the pull down and choose the school and the coaches names pop up. Check the coach and have DD send email.
If/when a coach opens email you get a notification that a coach read your email. If a coach watches a video you get a notification of who watched what.
This helped us know which camps to attend and which camps to skip (if they didn't open emails we didn't go to their camps). Probably had 3 or 4 schools who's camps DD would have attended if she thought they were interested but not opening emails indicated that they weren't. 4 camps at $150 each ($600) paid for the site for 3 years. Only used it for 2 years. Probably the best money every spent imo.
When DD sent her travel game schedule for a weekend we knew what schools were coming to see her simply by who opened her emails.
Very valuable information.

Feb 3, 2016
Anyone here use a drone for a skills video? I'm thinking that might be useful to show the range of play for the DD. I'm thinking of chalking the outfield with hash marks @ 10' and full lines every 20'. Trying to show tracking ability and coverage in the outfield. (It's a private field)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802