single or double

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Did not happen in a game just thinking in my head. Is this scenario a single or double.

1 hopper through the infield, left fielder fields the ball cleanly and throws the ball to the shortstop, who cuts the ball off. Shortstop then throws the ball to the 2nd baseman. The hitter is a fast player and rounds first base aggressively. When she notices the throw to the shortstop she takes 2nd base. The hitter is safe on the play.

How would you score this play?
1- Double and good base running.
2- Single and runner advances on the throw
3- Single and a error

I do not think there can be an error on that play so I would say #3 is the least likely scoring.
I can see both #1, or #2 being correct. I am leaning towards #1

Oct 3, 2019
Did not happen in a game just thinking in my head. Is this scenario a single or double.

1 hopper through the infield, left fielder fields the ball cleanly and throws the ball to the shortstop, who cuts the ball off. Shortstop then throws the ball to the 2nd baseman. The hitter is a fast player and rounds first base aggressively. When she notices the throw to the shortstop she takes 2nd base. The hitter is safe on the play.

3- Single and a error

I do not think there can be an error on that play so I would say #3 is the least likely scoring.
I agree. At youth levels, good, aggressive baserunning needs to be rewarded. Too many times we see girls that won't run or don't react to the play in front of them and don't challenge the defense. It's part of the game they need to learn.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
👉i'm going with
4. That is a coaching error imo.
Just sayin' some coaches make the cut off standard. Yikes!

Outfieldrs/players/coaches
Need to learn to throw directly to the bases!

There may be a time for a cut off.
Once learned when to or not~
5. In that op scenario
Pending age development level
That could have been a mental error on the players.
Wrong play made.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

3- Single and a error

10u it’s a double. That throw is the norm.
12u and up it’s a single and the base on the throw.

Mar 4, 2015
New England

If the batter was running hard the whole time anticipating the unwise throw to short, then double. If she slowed down, then seized an unexpected opportunity, then single and second on the throw. If the runner stopped, then picked it up again, then that's definitely a single. In what you described, there's perhaps some subjectivity involved, but I would avoid the temptation to 'reward' a player one way or the other and stick to applying the rules, ie, trying to decide if she was thinking second all the way vs. taking advantage of it. Otherwise, my team will hit more doubles because I like aggressive runners and your team will hit more singles because you don't like unsound defense, or vice-versa.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
As others have said, "advancing on the throw" is used for one runner advancing a base because of a throw trying to get a different runner out.

If the left fielder throws to the cut off, it's a double. (In this scenario, if the left fielder throws to the third baseman, it's still a double, because a throw to the wrong base is also not an error)

The rules of scoring are designed to leave as little room for interpretation as possible, even if the result isn't always "fair" (especially to the pitcher). A lot of these (like "on the throw") have specific, defined uses, and aren't to be applied to other situations.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
If the batter was running hard the whole time anticipating the unwise throw to short, then double. If she slowed down, then seized an unexpected opportunity, then single and second on the throw. If the runner stopped, then picked it up again, then that's definitely a single. In what you described, there's perhaps some subjectivity involved, but I would avoid the temptation to 'reward' a player one way or the other and stick to applying the rules, ie, trying to decide if she was thinking second all the way vs. taking advantage of it. Otherwise, my team will hit more doubles because I like aggressive runners and your team will hit more singles because you don't like unsound defense, or vice-versa.

But the rules say this is a double. You're making up your own.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
But the rules say this is a double. You're making up your own.

What rule am I making up?

I don't disagree that the play as described is a double. Where we might disagree is whether a runner who stops, then takes off and takes advantage of 'slow play' gets credit for a double.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee