Simple Pitch Calling Sign System?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
My DD’s team does not use wristbands thankfully. They use a 3 digit system and each inning they switch the order in which the pitch is being called in the sequence. For example, in one inning the pitch will be the third number in the sequence so a call of “435” will be a changeup. Next inning the pitch may be the second number in the sequence so “435” will be a curve. The coach tells the pitcher and catcher what number in the sequence they are using before each inning. My DD likes to work fast so this is good for her preferred pace of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2018
CT
My DD’s team does not use wristbands thankfully. They use a 3 digit system and each inning they switch the order in which the pitch is being called in the sequence. For example, in one inning the pitch will be the third number in the sequence so a call of “435” will be a changeup. Next inning the pitch may be the second number in the sequence so “435” will be a curve. The coach tells the pitcher and catcher what number in the sequence they are using before each inning. My DD likes to work fast so this is good for her preferred pace of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This reminds me of the "outs plus one" or "outs plus two" system we used in school. Simple. Effective. (Outs plus one = e.g., no outs, first number, 1 out, second number, etc.)

Jun 27, 2021
finger system
dummy sign 4 or 5 or I'll keep flashing 4 or 5 when a coach is trying to figure it out
plate call- 1,2,3 plate
pitch 1 FB, 3 change up, 4 curve- 44 rise, 5 screwball/drop - took the 2 out because it's universal to be change up.

cards get lazy as coaches get into a two -three pitch sequence of numbers

May 1, 2018
I'm over here wondering why wait on the wristband? Takes like 10 mins to get it done and another 5 mins to teach it.
We have In, out, and 5 different pitches on our call sheet. Plus pitcher out, throws to first and third, bunt coverage ect all on there. Not sure how you are going to signal all of those things effectively. When you could do 15 mins of work to have the wristbands done.

Oct 4, 2020
Thanks everyone. Ended up going wristband for offensive and defensive play calls and a finger system for pitch calling. Seems like we've fallen into a nice rhythm with this approach. Appreciate all the great feedback.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee