SidelineHD is Open to EVERYONE!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2016
Does the ump get annoyed with you? Just curious, I've had it happen and I'm quieter than you when I comment for the video.
For balls and strikes I'm VERY neutral and call it the way the ump calls it. My call will be something like, "Ball 1, outside/inside/low/high", or "Strike 2, inside corner". I don't do much color commentary at all. I'm not cool enough for that ;-). Occasionally I'll let the "fan" come out, but that has only happened 2-3 times in the year and a half that I've been doing this.

For offensive/defensive plays I add a little flavor/excitement to the commentary for a big hit or play. I'm usually drowned out by all the other cheering. But I still call it like I see it and if the ump calls a player safe or out, that's what I announce and not much more. Most umps will come back to the fence and chat me up about what I'm doing. Last tournament, the field ump would come by at the end of a half inning and listen to my summary. He wanted to validate the score and inning. Multiple umps have asked me where to watch the game so they can check out their work or share with others. I'm sure I could have irritated an ump or two, but they've never expressed it to me or I've never noticed.

Feb 7, 2016
Good to know, thank you. Makes perfect sense that Sideline would cut ties with GC/TM.

So for those of you who score in iScore and/or Sideline, is it as easy? As good? Give good stats?
I use SidelineHD's scoring system. It's ridiculously easy. I had to train another mom last weekend to score for this upcoming weekend as I won't be able to attend the games. She was a pro by the 2nd inning. We use GC still for stats which means we have to use SidelineSCORE and GC at the same time. I'm fluent enough to do both, but for this weekend we'll have one parent doing GC and another doing SidelineSCORE.

Oct 4, 2018
For balls and strikes I'm VERY neutral and call it the way the ump calls it. My call will be something like, "Ball 1, outside/inside/low/high", or "Strike 2, inside corner". I don't do much color commentary at all. I'm not cool enough for that ;-). Occasionally I'll let the "fan" come out, but that has only happened 2-3 times in the year and a half that I've been doing this.

For offensive/defensive plays I add a little flavor/excitement to the commentary for a big hit or play. I'm usually drowned out by all the other cheering. But I still call it like I see it and if the ump calls a player safe or out, that's what I announce and not much more. Most umps will come back to the fence and chat me up about what I'm doing. Last tournament, the field ump would come by at the end of a half inning and listen to my summary. He wanted to validate the score and inning. Multiple umps have asked me where to watch the game so they can check out their work or share with others. I'm sure I could have irritated an ump or two, but they've never expressed it to me or I've never noticed.

Yes, I've had a few umps ask how/where they can watch it to review their calls. I admired them for that thought, but don't expect them to actually do it. If they want to fine, but I can't imagine having enough time to watch a 12U softball game a second time. :p

Oct 4, 2018
I use SidelineHD's scoring system. It's ridiculously easy. I had to train another mom last weekend to score for this upcoming weekend as I won't be able to attend the games. She was a pro by the 2nd inning. We use GC still for stats which means we have to use SidelineSCORE and GC at the same time. I'm fluent enough to do both, but for this weekend we'll have one parent doing GC and another doing SidelineSCORE.

So you are doing SidelineSCORE and GC at the same time? On two devices? And then another device to film the game?

Feb 7, 2016
So you are doing SidelineSCORE and GC at the same time? On two devices? And then another device to film the game?

Yes, I use both at the same time, but only use one device. I have an iPad air with GC open. I then open a Safari/web brower window and float it on top of GC. I also have a old Pixel phone that I use to monitor the video feed.
1633540453392.png

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee