Showcase—-Number of Events

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2015
Does anybody even know if college coaches would rather just go to regular old elimination tournaments (assuming competition quality is the same)? The only real advantage for them would be they would know in advance when teams would play the whole event…which I suppose is pretty useful.

I would think that is key, also a college coach can request an extra at bat, a substitution, things that can’t really happen in an elimination style format.

Not to mention coaches will “showcase” their non committed players over the committed ones, which would not be the case in pool or bracket play.

Showcase games tend to stay on time also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I would think that is key, also a college coach can request an extra at bat, a substitution, things that can’t really happen in an elimination style format.

Not to mention coaches will “showcase” their non committed players over the committed ones, which would not be the case in pool or bracket play.

Showcase games tend to stay on time also.

How many times have you seen a request for an additional at bat? I am not saying that it does not happen but it is extremely rare to see a team give a player and additional at bat in a Showcase. I personally have never seen a team request an additional at bat for a specific player. I have seen some coaches use pinch runners to showcase a players speed.

You can showcase you non committed players in any type of game, it does not need to be a Showcase.

In a tournament your Thurs, and Friday games will be predetermined (pool play games). You can't fix the issue with bracket play in regards to time slot guarantees.

Sep 3, 2015
How many times have you seen a request for an additional at bat? I am not saying that it does not happen but it is extremely rare to see a team give a player and additional at bat in a Showcase. I personally have never seen a team request an additional at bat for a specific player. I have seen some coaches use pinch runners to showcase a players speed.

You can showcase you non committed players in any type of game, it does not need to be a Showcase.

In a tournament your Thurs, and Friday games will be predetermined (pool play games). You can't fix the issue with bracket play in regards to time slot guarantees.

I’ve seen it a few times. I’ve also seen where the college coach comes to see so and so but she just batted last inning, so she hits again. Or college coach wants to see the player swing the bat, but she gets hit by pitch or walks. Bat again, sub runner to 1B.

Yes, you can showcase your non committed players anytime, it’s just more likely when wins don’t matter. You may spell your stud P5 committed CF for a pool game, but not several positions at the same time in the same game.

I’ve been to a lot of showcases, a lot of busts but also some very good ones. I would tend to agree that at 14U they are mostly a waste of time.

My point though is that the showcase format can be beneficial over a traditional tournament, trick is the college coaches actually have to be there.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Does anybody even know if college coaches would rather just go to regular old elimination tournaments (assuming competition quality is the same)? The only real advantage for them would be they would know in advance when teams would play the whole event…which I suppose is pretty useful.
I have heard during conversations college coaches say it's easier to plan when they're going to be able to watch which team/athlete when the schedule of games is announced ahead of time.
Events where all teams know their schedule already.

Aug 5, 2022
In all the showcase games we have played 60+ we have never had a coach ask for another at bat or to really make any changes to the line up. We once had a coach ask to see a player at position in the field that she doesn’t normally play for us but that’s the most we’ve ever had and we have plenty of coaches at our games in the last 4 yrs from all levels of play but mostly D1 and many P5. For the most part I think they are judging athleticism, interactions, techniques, attitudes etc as opposed to a specific at bat or specific position.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I saw it happen at least six times this summer alone. I was the Gamechanger keeper for my older daughter's team, so I had to pay attention to every detail. We were a team of 12 girls, 10 of whom were 2022 grads who were committed. We had one 23 and one 24 who were not yet committed.

The 23 got a lot of D2 looks at Atlanta Legacy in July, and one coach asked to see her hit repeatedly. It was a pain in the butt to figure out how to score it, but I got it right, eventually. It happened again at NE Finest with the same player. In one game, she had five PA to everyone else's three. We were a regional team, so maybe it's more common at that level than the National level. I didn't see it happen this fall with my younger daughter's National team.

Sep 3, 2015
I saw it happen at least six times this summer alone. I was the Gamechanger keeper for my older daughter's team, so I had to pay attention to every detail. We were a team of 12 girls, 10 of whom were 2022 grads who were committed. We had one 23 and one 24 who were not yet committed.

The 23 got a lot of D2 looks at Atlanta Legacy in July, and one coach asked to see her hit repeatedly. It was a pain in the butt to figure out how to score it, but I got it right, eventually. It happened again at NE Finest with the same player. In one game, she had five PA to everyone else's three. We were a regional team, so maybe it's more common at that level than the National level. I didn't see it happen this fall with my younger daughter's National team.

I think this was 16U when it happened, and maybe DDs team was regional, I think extra innings ranked them in the 40s (FWIW).

At 18U, the entire team was D1 committed (6 P5), so there was no need for that. Being a top team at zoom into June at BLD Chino Hills is something to see.

Anyway, getting off topic.

Recap:

14U showcases are mostly a waste of time IMO, it can be argued whether or not it’s helpful for the future

Showcase rules are there for the flexibility if needed.

Aug 15, 2021

I just saw it in a So Cal showcase in November. I saw a College coach talking to the HC during the game and the same 3 girls batted in each of the last 3 innings. I hadn't seen it before, but I guess it does happen.

Jul 14, 2018
Since true showcases only happen after the high school and college seasons wrap up, there’s only about eight weeks to play them. As others have said, six is a pretty good number to enter.

At 14U, you’re probably better served playing in higher level PGF or Alliance tournaments for the most part. You’ll see great competition, and you won’t be paying the premium for a showcase that has to make accommodations for college coaches who likely will not be coming to see you anyway.

The lack of coach interest at the 14U level is why it’s dubious IMHO to even enter just to get a taste of the atmosphere. You’ll likely be scheduled at remote fields with zero fanfare. Playing elimination games on the main fields at a competitive tournament is a much better experience, even if there aren’t any college coaches there.

ETA: The OP mentioned that they play for a big org. I’m sure there is something to big orgs entering their 14-16-18U teams in a showcase that enables their top teams to get good field positions.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802