Should physical strength be measured

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Physical strength ~ Muscle strength

Considering so many of the discussions here are based on physical productivity and performance, which includes factors like which bat to select, swing mechanic results and pitching and running speeds.

Brings these questions~
How much is muscle strength a factor?
Should muscle strength be measured to help the individual athlete assess their development on the journey?
How would you like to see muscle strength be measured?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
For use in comparisons against others? No, I don't think so. Kevin Durant could not bench press 175lb when he entered the NBA. He takes that to the HOF.

For use a a baseline to track their own personal progress. Yes.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Quickness and speed seem to be more relevant.
I have seen more kids hit more bombs and lasers than the bigger stronger players.

When you see it, you just know.

Weight training builds you up for the long season and injury prevention. Yes, getting stronger and faster is key, but production is better.

Sep 13, 2021
Most serious athletes at some point have to increase their relative strength (i.e., the amount of strength they have at a static bodyweight) to avoid plateaus and continue to produce and progress. If you take two identical athletes and put one on a quality S&C program, that athlete will be better that the other just about every time, because he/she will be faster, stronger and, most likely, bigger. It's mostly about relative strength, though. Sports isn't a weightlifting contest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozarkdad