Should coaches or catchers call pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The answer is because it's not a skill and any anyone with the same information can do it. I can't make my RF hit a home run but I can teach her how to call a game with two words. "Be random".

"Random" doesn't take in to account reading and adapting to what the hitter is doing in the current/previous at bat, and taking advantage of apparent weaknesses. If the hitter is clearly struggling with velocity, "random" may call for a slower pitch that she can square up. I'm not a fan of "random".

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
any anyone with the same information can do it.
Now at least you have recognized/ acknowledged that there is information to be applied when pitch calling!
(Which means without the understanding of how to see, interpret and apply that knowledge can make a difference)
That's right acquiring information to be used in determining pitches throughout the game with situations makes a difference.

When you try out catchers do you test their "pitch calling skill"? Of course not. It doesn't matter.
Yes coaches will test/sample and teach pitch calling skills.

Btw... I have not been discussing this to try and influence changing anyone's mind. I like discussing things because it brings out perspective and feedback for others to think about.
( & others who are just readers)
I'm okay if you have your own definition of the word skill.
imo there is a lot more that goes on with skill-based applications of people that for some reason you decide not to use.

Seem to want to keep imposing your position on this without interacting with other posts that offered intelligent feedback but I understand why because you have a limited interpretation of the word skill

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Could ask this question~
do you think all batters are of the equal ability to read pitches and read the type of pitch to make a decision interpreting to swing or not? Curve, drop, rise, change mechanics and releases.

That is a brain function that applies to being a batter.
Seeing interpreting acting upon.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Now at least you have recognized/ acknowledged that there is information to be applied when pitch calling!
(Which means without the understanding of how to see, interpret and apply that knowledge can make a difference)
That's right acquiring information to be used in determining pitches throughout the game with situations makes a difference.

I mean my tax preparer uses my tax information to file my taxes but I wouldn't consider that a skill. Anyone with time could do the same standard deduction filing on Turbo Tax.

My tax preparer cannot hit a home run no matter how much information I give him. Hitting a home run is a skill.

That is the difference. I just don't think I am special when I call pitches. My catcher, pitcher, or assistant coach can do just as adequate of a job as I can with the same information.

You believe that you have some special ability that alludes everyone else at the ballpark....to see, interpret, and apply that knowledge. I don't.

I am going to let my CF call pitches in our first spring exhibition game. Should be fun.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I mean my tax preparer uses my tax information to file my taxes but I wouldn't consider that a skill. Anyone with time could do the same standard deduction filing on Turbo Tax.
Ok, dealing with taxes waaay too much today so this has been a great diversion! A tax preparer is about the same as Turbo tax - data in, data out or in other words garbage in/garbage out but a tax advisor/counselor/etc.. is apply experience and education using that same data and shaping future outcomes for your benefit. That is a skill.

Carry on.

Jan 6, 2018
Why? Because the pitcher threw something unexpected. Something random. If there is, in fact, a ‘correct’ pitch to throw in a given situation, calling that pitch against a good hitter (who knows what the correct pitch would be) is a bad idea.

He knows what I know
but I know that he knows what I know
and if he knows that I know that he knows
and I know that he knows that I know that he knows
does anyone know anything?!

I suppose that is in fact a argument for randomness. Certainly an interesting thought exercise at least!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279