Should coaches or catchers call pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
This conversation will never go anywhere. It’s just a matter of semantics. Anyone can define skill any way they want. And people will keep calling pitches any way they please. What’s the point?

May 17, 2012
I happen to disagree with his definition of a skill because under his definition most athletic endeavors, which we consider skills, wouldn't be. Some track and field events (controlled environment for the most part) might be the only sports that would qualify as having outcomes based purely upon (his definition) of skills (of course one could argue that athletic ability is not a skill either..)...and that is probably questionable as well.

Hitting is a skill. I can communicate to you on mechanics and perhaps a mental approach on how to hit but I can't assist with the physical portion of hitting. I have little influence on you hitting a homerun in any given at bat.

Pitch calling is not a skill. If you came to my next game and I equipped you with the same information (pitchers main pitches, batter spray charts, umpires tendencies) that I had you would be equally effective as I was at calling pitches. My random is not better than your random.

Jun 8, 2016
This conversation will never go anywhere. It’s just a matter of semantics. Anyone can define skill any way they want. And people will keep calling pitches any way they please. What’s the point?

a) The original question posed was a valid one though, regardless of how you qualify pitch calling.
b) If the requirement that in order for a conversation to be legitimate on here, it has to change anyone's mind,
then 90 % of the conversations wouldn't qualify.

Oct 14, 2019
Hitting is a skill. I can communicate to you on mechanics and perhaps a mental approach on how to hit but I can't assist with the physical portion of hitting. I have little influence on you hitting a homerun in any given at bat.

Pitch calling is not a skill. If you came to my next game and I equipped you with the same information (pitchers main pitches, batter spray charts, umpires tendencies) that I had you would be equally effective as I was at calling pitches. My random is not better than your random.
Ok .

Jun 8, 2016
So no in-game adjustments based upon what you are seeing from the pitchers and hitters, the particular game situation, etc? In that case you could map out the pitch sequence for every hitter (based upon the count) before the game, right? One could argue that the adjustments could be made in an algorithmic manner as well (if indeed you do make adjustments) I suppose but in lieu of that ability the person calling the pitches has to use their brain to process the information he/she is receiving and you would be better at that than my 3 YO due to repetition, training, etc. just like one becomes a better hitter through repetition (find out what works, what doesn't etc), training, etc.

For (a simplistic) example, bottom of 7th, tie game, girl on third with 1 out. Would my 3 YO know that we want to try execute pitches to induce a GB? Note I am not saying that pitch calling is a difficult skill to attain (eg in this example anybody with half a brain would know this so maybe 10% of the 14U coaches around here..)..

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
You are missing what I said. I said “most” 14 and unders have two pitches. That’s a fact. Then I immediately mentioned location. Given what I said and not what you said l said, I say stick with catcher deciding calling pitches and location. A good coach will be able to prepare their catcher for that.

Now given what you said, we are talking a different level of game and pitcher and opponent and I think your analysis nails it. I believe a coach is in a far more advantageous position behind the fence to call the pitches because of almost everything you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair enough!

Jul 14, 2018
In defense of “random”…

You see MLB hitters guessing at what’s coming all the time. They know the situation, they know the pitcher’s repertoire, they know their own tendencies. They’ve stood in the batter’s box a thousand times in the same spot, but they guess wrong all the time and often look foolish when they do.

Why? Because the pitcher threw something unexpected. Something random. If there is, in fact, a ‘correct’ pitch to throw in a given situation, calling that pitch against a good hitter (who knows what the correct pitch would be) is a bad idea.

Ever try to play chess with a total novice? It’s hard, because you have no idea what they’re going to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
As far as I can tell, his only argument is that it is not a skill (based upon his definition) which really only matters if you take pride in having this skill. I don't see him saying that it shouldn't be done (pitch calling..by anybody) based upon the conditions (eg having "data") that many/most operate under.

I happen to disagree with his definition of a skill because under his definition most athletic endeavors, which we consider skills, wouldn't be. Some track and field events (controlled environment for the most part) might be the only sports that would qualify as having outcomes based purely upon (his definition) of skills (of course one could argue that athletic ability is not a skill either..)...and that is probably questionable as well.

I guess it comes down to how you define what a "skill" is. To me, a skill is something that can be improved with practice/experience/training. This isn't limited to physical/athletic endeavors.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812