Should coaches or catchers call pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
This is one of my favorite discussions. I certainly have my opinions, but I'd like to hear what others thoughts are on the topic.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
In TB, I teach my catchers to call the pitches between 10U and 12U. By 14U they are usually calling the game with a suggestion here and there in a certain situation.
On my HS team, I don't have that luxury. We only have 1 catcher who is former rec only and basically nothing more than a receiver. There's far more to work on such as technique and mechanics than teaching why to call a certain pitch when since all of my HS players only work on their game during the HS season.
Some on here will say that it's useless to teach catchers to call a game because once they go off to college the coach calls the pitches. I disagree. Maybe at the highest levels that happens because those coaches have a reputation and a huge paycheck to protect. But overall, they are few in number compared to the mid-major D1's, D2, D3 and NAIA number of coaches. Many of those coaches, once they figure out the catcher knows how to call a game will let them. I currently have 16 catchers I've taught and worked with in the past playing at the college level. 10 of them learned to call their own games and 7 of them are doing so in college. Out of the 7, 1 is NAIA,4 D3 and 2 D2. My DD also played D2 and called her own games. Personally, I believe that the coaches that say this are, A) either ignorant of the reality of a majority of college coaches, B) are afraid to relinquish control of the game to a young player or C) don't know how to teach a catcher to call a game. JMHO.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Absolutely enjoyed and appreciated being able to call pitches my entire career behind the plate.

Absolutely certain that as a catcher I knew our pitchers better than any coach we played for.
Plus seeing what's actually being called behind the plate by the umpire = having the best view and connection to that.

If coach not allowing catcher to call the game.
*Then it should be mandatory for the coach to be speaking with the catcher and pitchers about what's going on.
Befor and during the game.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
1. Pitch calling is not a skill.
2. ERA is attached to pitchers not catchers or coaches.
3. If the coach is being paid they are most likely calling the pitches directly or heavily involved in the process.

Just my observations.

Jan 10, 2022
Long Island NY
i feel this depends on the age level and the competency of the players. first, the catcher needs to understand situations and a pitcher's stuff and to call their own pitches. i do not think a kid 10U or lower should be doing this. even at the 12u level most catchers are not fully game aware as much as they are technically advanced. i really think it is the 14u level where most catchers can be relied on to call pitches. As a coach i would let the catcher do it, if proving they can do it capably. i do not think a coach should be micromanaging the players. they have other things to take care of. players need to develop skills, and for a C, that is learning how to call pitches.

Jan 10, 2022
Long Island NY
I have to disagree on that one. If it were not a skill, then it would make no difference what pitches were called.
same logic as to why courtesy runners should get runs scored when they score credited to them. base running is a skill and often requires them to steal and make decisions on the bases. they definitely need to receive credit when scoring a run. maybe a new stat catagory for this needs to be created to properly give credit to the kids who do this as they deserve to be recognized for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802