SHOULD BATTERS TRAIN TO HIT PITCHES OUT OF THE ZONE

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I have seen this for years in MLB. Most umpires strike zones are just above the bellybutton nowadays. There are many power hitters that feast on the chest high fastball.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So much of this game relies on what the umpire is giving to the pitcher. If they are calling strikes a ball or two off the plate, we have a choice as coaches to teach how to hit it hard or just stomp our feet in the coach's box with our face in strange contortions 😖.
Really like that acknowledging the option of choices!

CAN BE PREPAIRED ! ...or not.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Yet another reason to work on hitting pitches out of the zone~
Making a critical/technical point in a fun way! ;)
Screenshot_2021-04-06-05-45-06-1-1.png
Screenshot_2021-04-06-05-45-20-1.pngScreenshot_2021-04-06-05-45-31-1.png

Jun 26, 2019
There are times when a walk is as good as a hit, but there are times when a wwlk is worthless. My dd struck out looking to end a tournament last year down by one with runners on 2 and 3. The pitch was just a bit inside. Just last week this subject came up with her while hitting in the backyard. You are not going to walk a run in from second base, AND, dont put your and your team’s success in the umpire. Or: In Cerrano voice from Major Leauge, “F$&! you Blue, I do it myself!”

radness

Dec 13, 2019
There are times when a walk is as good as a hit, but there are times when a wwlk is worthless.

My dd struck out looking to end a tournament last year down by one with runners on 2 and 3. The pitch was just a bit inside. Just last week this subject came up with her while hitting in the backyard. You are not going to walk a run in from second base, AND, dont put your and your team’s success in the umpire. Or: In Cerrano voice from Major Leauge, “F$&! you Blue, I do it myself!”
Bazinga!
Look forward to dfp'ers on that topic!

Jun 26, 2019
Well, after the conversations on here, and the conversations that have been had with another team parent and a few of the girls about hitting balls out of the zone we saw some runs come in that would not have otherwise.
We were at a 3 team mini tournament tonight and won it. Ump had a strike zone that was consistent in that balls that were close low were called strikes, and in the final game per usual, as the night went on the zone didn’t get smaller. We won our first two and had a break before the final game, during the break we practiceed with the skillz hit stick and made sure we had them practice low pitches. My dd somehow golfed a hard ground ball that got out of the infield and scored 2 and then came around to score later. Watching the game there were quite a few other hits as well tat were out of the zone as well as a sacrifice that scored a run on a pitch that was darn near in the dirt.

May 18, 2019
There are times when a walk is as good as a hit, but there are times when a wwlk is worthless. My dd struck out looking to end a tournament last year down by one with runners on 2 and 3. The pitch was just a bit inside. Just last week this subject came up with her while hitting in the backyard. You are not going to walk a run in from second base, AND, dont put your and your team’s success in the umpire. Or: In Cerrano voice from Major Leauge, “F$&! you Blue, I do it myself!”
John, you are juuuuuust a bit outside. Jobu, not blue. One of my favorite quotes in that movie.

Jun 26, 2019
John, you are juuuuuust a bit outside. Jobu, not blue. One of my favorite quotes in that movie.

Correct, I just changed it to fit this conversation.
A few years ago, when my older dd started playing she would be emotionally crushed every time she struck out, and was going through a bit of a slump, my wife told her, “Inside, peace, outside, warrior!” She came up to hit with two outs as the bottom of the order hitter and got a base hit that started a game winning rally

Jun 8, 2016
Show me a team that constantly swings at balls out of the zone against a good pitcher and I will show you a team which puts up lots of zeroes...Are there times when expanding your zone is called for..sure. I wouldn’t call that a hitting approach which will work on in general though. Back in day (in baseball) you would work on this in pre-game BP for hit and run situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12