Shortage of Umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Also younger people don't have the interest in doing outside activities; it is the electronic generation.

The youngest partner I've had this year is 28 and he used to coach.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Thats a great point ☝

Maybe crap in umpiring
However
It comes with both responsibility AND the power of authority.

PLENTY of other jobs that get crap. And only come with the responsibility part.

Not picking sides.
Just chattin'

Mar 1, 2013
Definitely we have an issue where people feel they are entitled to treat others like garbage, especially those they seem to be “working for them”. Restaurant workers, retail employees, medical workers, etc. I’m a volunteer fire police officer - I set up roadblocks and detours around emergency scenes. As much as I get yelled at for “making that call” I get screamed at more by “Entitled Evelyn” because I dare to “tell her what to do”. She has to go that way and I’m making her late for whatever she is going to (which is probably to go complain that her soy latte had real sugar instead of Splenda in it). I try not to take it personally just like I try not to take “you’re terrible” or “it’s YOUR fault my DD never wants to play again” (after he spent 20 minutes berating her for being unable to throw a strike). It takes its toll though. Eventually people will decide that whatever they are being paid (as an umpire, server, nurse, cashier, etc) isn’t worth dealing with it and pursue something different.

War story because it happened this week - working the bases on a suspended game to finish out the 15u Rex championship around here. Picked it up at the top of the 5th with the home team down 2. Home team scores one in the 5th. Visitor coach starts chirping about balls and strikes in the 6th. My partner’s zone was generous and absolutely consistent from what I could see. I took a screaming liner to my calf two batters later. It was my fault - she sent three my way. I dodged the first two. Third one got me. Anyway, home team ties it up in the bottom of the 6th. Good hitting and taking advantage of multiple errors by the visiting team. Visitors get 2 base runners in the top of 7 but strand them. With one out, home team hits one in the infield that the runner beats but it was thrown away also so she advances toward 2nd. I chase as fast as I can to get in position. She makes second and rounds so I chase. She heads for third band the throw is high. She slides in and I call her safe. It was a good call. Visiting coach didn’t even start toward my direction to argue. I checked with my partner informally after and he said he had the same thing. Mom’s and dad’s go berserk. Screaming the typical “how much did they pay you” bs and “you two should never work another game”. Next batter ropes a solid base hit to score the winning run. Trying to leave the field, Musclehead Marty gets in my partner’s face saying he will need security to get off the field. Coach calmed them down as best as he could but they were relentless. TMIB talked in the other thread about a “bad game”. We had a good game. All calls were solid. That extra inch of plastic on the winner vs the second place trophy must be super valuable. Talking with my assignor after I was told that they did the same to him - in the season opener. Seems like a team that shouldn’t be in the league but that’s another thread.

Again, just a conversation here.

Mar 10, 2020
Definitely we have an issue where people feel they are entitled to treat others like garbage,

especially those they seem to be “working for them”. Restaurant workers, retail employees, medical workers, etc. I’m a volunteer fire police officer - I set up roadblocks and detours around emergency scenes. As much as I get yelled at for “making that call” I get screamed at more by “Entitled Evelyn” because I dare to “tell her what to do”. She has to go that way and I’m making her late for whatever she is going to (which is probably to go complain that her soy latte had real sugar instead of Splenda in it). I try not to take it personally just like I try not to take “you’re terrible” or “it’s YOUR fault my DD never wants to play again” (after he spent 20 minutes berating her for being unable to throw a strike). It takes its toll though. Eventually people will decide that whatever they are being paid (as an umpire, server, nurse, cashier, etc) isn’t worth dealing with it and pursue something different.

War story because it happened this week - working the bases on a suspended game to finish out the 15u Rex championship around here. Picked it up at the top of the 5th with the home team down 2. Home team scores one in the 5th. Visitor coach starts chirping about balls and strikes in the 6th. My partner’s zone was generous and absolutely consistent from what I could see. I took a screaming liner to my calf two batters later. It was my fault - she sent three my way. I dodged the first two. Third one got me. Anyway, home team ties it up in the bottom of the 6th. Good hitting and taking advantage of multiple errors by the visiting team. Visitors get 2 base runners in the top of 7 but strand them. With one out, home team hits one in the infield that the runner beats but it was thrown away also so she advances toward 2nd. I chase as fast as I can to get in position. She makes second and rounds so I chase. She heads for third band the throw is high. She slides in and I call her safe. It was a good call. Visiting coach didn’t even start toward my direction to argue. I checked with my partner informally after and he said he had the same thing. Mom’s and dad’s go berserk. Screaming the typical “how much did they pay you” bs and “you two should never work another game”. Next batter ropes a solid base hit to score the winning run. Trying to leave the field, Musclehead Marty gets in my partner’s face saying he will need security to get off the field. Coach calmed them down as best as he could but they were relentless. TMIB talked in the other thread about a “bad game”. We had a good game. All calls were solid. That extra inch of plastic on the winner vs the second place trophy must be super valuable. Talking with my assignor after I was told that they did the same to him - in the season opener. Seems like a team that shouldn’t be in the league but that’s another thread.

Again, just a conversation here.
Allowed on this forum from a long term poster.

Dec 11, 2010
Come on, time to give it a rest. Not even close to being on topic anyway.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020
We are fostering a culture of non-compliance.

There is less authority that is respected in even the most basic way.

If you look at softball as a microcosm of society, you can see what it is like to be an umpire of society.

Many people don’t want there to be any rules that apply to them or at the very least they do not accept penalties for bad behavior or consequences of their actions.
@Westwind
On one hand you present this big statement of which I aree.
On the other hand you want people on the forum to ignore
the very problem being discussed. Try reading your own statement again.
The more the real problem makers are allowed to be a problem. Problem will continue. The ignor button is the problem.
Come on, time to give it a rest. Not even close to being on topic anyway.
No. I dont want to foster a culture of non-compliance.
I Look at the microcosm within this DFP society. As you said. Many people dont want there to be any rules. They dont want to accept penalties for bad behavior. Now you say give it a rest.
No, that is the problem.

Apr 1, 2017
My son has umped “house” games for awhile, and this summer started doing local travel games. The group he’s working for sends out SOS emails almost every weekend trying to fill games. He’s doing 3 games today where he is getting an extra $25 game because they were desperate to fill the games.

Dec 11, 2010
@Westwind
The more the real problem makers are allowed to be a problem. Problem will continue. The ignor button is the problem.

I Look at the microcosm within this DFP society. As you said. Many people dont want there to be any rules. They dont want to accept penalties for bad behavior. Now you say give it a rest.
No, that is the problem.
Yeah, one has something to do with the other.

It took some real gymnastics to try to connect the two.

Jun 8, 2016
@Westwind

No, that is the problem.

@mydogeaston take the week off and leave you in charge of “drain the swamp” duty?

If there are rules being broken I am sure the moderators will take care of it..I have had posts removed. Just because somebody gets under your skin doesn’t mean they are breaking any rules.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2013
My son has umped “house” games for awhile, and this summer started doing local travel games. The group he’s working for sends out SOS emails almost every weekend trying to fill games. He’s doing 3 games today where he is getting an extra $25 game because they were desperate to fill the games.
That’s a nice gesture. The side affect of that may end up being that guys don’t sign up to call these and wait for the “sos” call so they can get a bonus ;)
The money is nice and other than charity events or something similar, I won’t do it for free often, but I’m also not in it for the money. Some are, and that’s fine too.

May 29, 2015
I know money is always thrown out as the quick solution for everything ... we need more money to pay more for umpires, we can fix the education system with more money, we need to put more money into roads and infrastructure ....

Stop looking at the money and look at HOW IT IS SPENT. I work in an impoverished school district that has -- and I would be chastised for saying this -- PLENTY of money, but they are wasteful, neglectful, and corrupt when it comes to spending it.

Yes, better pay may attract new umpires, but retaining them is the bigger problem.

TREAT THEM BETTER. I'm not just talking about the fans (which is a HUGE issue, as we all know). I am talking about the way they are contracted, what is expected from them, how you treat them at your tournament, etc.

Provide them an isolated and accessible dressing area where they can change and take some down time.

Water is the MINIMAL requirement to provide. I don't expect you to feed me from your concession stand (and I hate umpires who pull that crap) as that is a profit center for you, but if you expect me to be there all day, you need to make sure I am covered for something to eat and drink.

Require games off. I know this will irk some guys who want to be Rambo Umpire and work all ten games of the day on the plate (and then bitch/brag about it). My last weekend was a prime example of a tournament where they should have said "We are only allowing you to work two in a row, then you need to come off and cool down and hydrate for a game." If you can't do games off, build breaks into your game schedules.

Treat us professionally (e.g., don't EXPECT us to fix your mistakes and stay late for you). A few weeks ago I was contracted for four games. My partner arrived and we saw they had a 5th game on our field. I asked FIRST THING -- do you have somebody coming over to our field for that last game? The TD looked at me and shrugged nonchalantly. I pointed out "We are contracted for 4 and you have 5 on the schedule." He didn't care.

We work our 4 and come off and the TD is standing there waiting. "You guys are going to do this last game, right?"

"No. We told you earlier we were here for four and you have five. We could have fixed it then. We both have commitments which we could have rearranged if you had told us then."

My partner asks "What is on our game checks?" The TD responds "Four games, but I'll pay you for this one." (In my mind: Oh, how very generous of you.)

My partner asks "How much?" TD replies "Normal game pay." Partner: "Nope. Like he said, we asked you this earlier and you didn't take care of it. My wife is already dressed waiting to go out for dinner. IF I am canceling on her, it needs to cover our inconvenience." The TD acted like we were the arses. (Maybe we were, I don't know.)

Then, in front of us, he offers another crew double-game pay to do the game. (The same crew that had Rambo Umpire on his 8th straight plate, who our assignor asked us to bail him out earlier in the day and our reply was -- Rambo Umpire's an idiot who did that to himself, you never should have let him, he had a partner the whole time.)

Time provisions ... umpires are paid by the game. We do not get paid for delays. If your tournament is running behind due to games running long, weather, etc., TAKE CARE of your umpires. You cannot reasonably expect me to sit around for three extra hours because you don't want to refund teams money. Develop a provision for time compensation. I'm not even saying you have to pay me (thought that would be ideal), but have the courtesy to order pizza or something when you have 20+ guys and gals sitting around with their thumbs in their ... uh ... ballbags. We have lives, we have other commitments, and we have other things to do. We are not just a mechanism for your profits.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478