Short term goals for pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
DD is 16 and a strike machine. She has made a goal of not giving up any hits with an 0-2 count. A little different than most goals but a good one for her for sure. Sometimes she needs you to call pitches off the plate early in the count. Drives me crazy that she want throw out of the zone some because she has a good feel for it but is going to do whatever the coach calls. Her mom raised her a lot better than me.

DD is very much the same. Is capable of throwing 80% + strikes to the point where her coaches have to tell her to make an effort to miss more often. She had a 17:1 career K to BB ratio in 3 years of HS ball with only 30 BB’s in those 3 years. But it became predictable and coaches who faced her regularly would tell their players to “swing the bat because she ain’t gonna walk you”. So, she adjusted to starting the batter with a ball off the plate in the river to try to get a swing or foul and even if it’s a ball or two she knows she has the control to get back in the count. Try to be less predictable so to speak rather than be 0-2 regularly and then the third pitch would be called way off the plate. Btw - in those 3 years she might have thrown a total of 5 fastballs. She’s a D1 “movement” pitcher in the low 60’s so she won’t blow it by anyone but she’s a surgeon with her placement and movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 18, 2019
DD is 16 and a strike machine. She has made a goal of not giving up any hits with an 0-2 count. A little different than most goals but a good one for her for sure. Sometimes she needs you to call pitches off the plate early in the count. Drives me crazy that she want throw out of the zone some because she has a good feel for it but is going to do whatever the coach calls. Her mom raised her a lot better than me.
I'm going to play devils advocate. I think very occasionally you want to throw a strike on an 0-2 count based on the hitter ability, pitch count, time remaining, and because all pitching strategies need to have some element of unoredictability to be successful.

Aug 9, 2021
Few things I haven't seen mentioned...

Quantifiable goals include less than 16 pitches per inning and 2 or less walks per game.

Qualitative goals: I would also have my DD start focusing on understanding the strategy behind calling pitches, figuring out what works against players she will face repeatedly, her location, and spin rate. Also work more endurance non-pitching training before HS season to get ready to pitch 7 innings.

POR: recently turned 15 YO DD that pitches varsity HS, and 16U and 18U TB.

May 17, 2012
I'm going to play devils advocate. I think very occasionally you want to throw a strike on an 0-2 count based on the hitter ability, pitch count, time remaining, and because all pitching strategies need to have some element of unoredictability to be successful.

Just as some pitchers struggle with control there are some that just can't get out of the strike zone. Those pitchers tend to give up hits ahead in the count and it's frustrating so you might set a goal of not giving up hits ahead in the count.

As you pointed out being unpredictable is generally a good pitching plan.

Jan 28, 2017
Agree. Especially if you not around 82% strikes on the year.

Jan 28, 2017
DD is very much the same. Is capable of throwing 80% + strikes to the point where her coaches have to tell her to make an effort to miss more often. She had a 17:1 career K to BB ratio in 3 years of HS ball with only 30 BB’s in those 3 years. But it became predictable and coaches who faced her regularly would tell their players to “swing the bat because she ain’t gonna walk you”. So, she adjusted to starting the batter with a ball off the plate in the river to try to get a swing or foul and even if it’s a ball or two she knows she has the control to get back in the count. Try to be less predictable so to speak rather than be 0-2 regularly and then the third pitch would be called way off the plate. Btw - in those 3 years she might have thrown a total of 5 fastballs. She’s a D1 “movement” pitcher in the low 60’s so she won’t blow it by anyone but she’s a surgeon with her placement and movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds a lot like my DD except she doesn't throw as hard. Some games never throws a fastball. Has offers from a few JUCO's

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Most older pitchers on here or their DDs can throw a strike a will, they will never walk a batter if they do not want too. Might be a home run but it will be a strike.

ERA was the biggest thing I watched for with DD. I did not trust the official scorer so kind of keep track of it myself.

A walk is not always a bad thing.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
DD is entering 14u and has been pitching for about 3 years now. On a solid B team, currently 3rd pitcher on her her new team. Good chances for her to move up - she is showing a lot of potential. Trying to help with setting short term quantifiable goals for games. Anyone else do this? I know it will vary depending on the competition we play but I feel like setting up monthly and some cumulative goals will push her harder - things like x% strikeouts, % of walks, etc. thoughts or ideas?

What are her goals? What is she trying to accomplish?

At any level, the goal for walks should be less than 2 per game.

Beyond walks, the real question is "how many hard hits does she give up" in a game. It doesn't matter if they end up in outs or not. Simply count how many she gives up in a game, and set her goal for one less than that in the next game.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What are her goals? What is she trying to accomplish?

At any level, the goal for walks should be less than 2 per game.

Beyond walks, the real question is "how many hard hits does she give up" in a game. It doesn't matter if they end up in outs or not. Simply count how many she gives up in a game, and set her goal for one less than that in the next game.
⬆️✔️

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee