Sharing Private Information

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
I’m in charge of our team’s website and all of our printed recruiting materials. We only list parents phone numbers, but you have got me thinking that the DOB isn’t necessary. Or maybe just birth year, so coaches can see that a kid is playing 18U when they’re 16-eligible. Do they even care (a showcase team is typically 16-18 anyway)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They care about graduating class year and that's it. They don't care about DOB or the year they were born. When they are graduating high school is all they care about because they build their recruiting classes off of that.

Jul 19, 2021
I’m in charge of our team’s website and all of our printed recruiting materials. We only list parents phone numbers, but you have got me thinking that the DOB isn’t necessary. Or maybe just birth year, so coaches can see that a kid is playing 18U when they’re 16-eligible. Do they even care (a showcase team is typically 16-18 anyway)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And yes, good reminder, what Vertigo is seeing is the parents phone numbers, not that actual girls' numbers so that's one less thing to worry about.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How many people have Googled their own name to see what's out there on it?

Amazing!

May 27, 2013
How many people have Googled their own name to see what's out there on it?

Amazing!

I have and am not overly concerned. We do keep freezes on our credit reports, though, because with security breeches you never know when your SS# or other info may have been compromised. I typically don’t put that on any forms anymore, anyway.

I can only imagine what kind of stuff makes it to the dark web.

May 27, 2013
And yes, good reminder, what Vertigo is seeing is the parents phone numbers, not that actual girls' numbers so that's one less thing to worry about.

No - what I saw were both parents’ and kids’ numbers. Just because it’s not what your team does doesn’t mean other teams never put that info out there. Our team always put the players’ phone numbers on the recruiting flyer.

It’s a good PSA to put out there - no harm in suggesting others be cautious.

Jun 8, 2016
So DD's team seems to be using recruitingflyer.com to post the recruiting info (along with posting at tournaments I guess..) Like I said, 3 or 4 years ago we used to be asked to give permission to post photos/info online..not anymore apparently 🤷‍♂️ (although I guess we could have refused to provide the information in the first place..plus I have about 2000 videos of her on here so that horse has left the barn...:cautious:)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
No - what I saw were both parents’ and kids’ numbers. Just because it’s not what your team does doesn’t mean other teams never put that info out there. Our team always put the players’ phone numbers on the recruiting flyer.

It’s a good PSA to put out there - no harm in suggesting others be cautious.
Ok then again, what is the harm really? When you step back and think about it, these girls all have Twitter and instagram pages where someone could contact them any time they wanted. If it's unwanted then simply block them. Same thing as someone calling them on the phone IYAM.

May 27, 2013
Ok then again, what is the harm really? When you step back and think about it, these girls all have Twitter and instagram pages where someone could contact them any time they wanted. If it's unwanted then simply block them. Same thing as someone calling them on the phone IYAM.

Not saying there’s harm. I’m just referring to all of the information together in one spot - not just a phone number attached to a name.

Was just curious if anyone had any issues with it. To your point, in the age of the phone book there were names, addresses and numbers that were easily accessible - but no pics or DOB were attached to those. Plus if people had a concern then they could request to be unlisted.

Identify theft is a thing and kids can be an easy target because they don’t typically have a credit history. Granted, in most cases you need a SS# to open credit card accounts, take out loans, etc.

Jul 19, 2021
Not saying there’s harm. I’m just referring to all of the information together in one spot - not just a phone number attached to a name.

Was just curious if anyone had any issues with it. To your point, in the age of the phone book there were names, addresses and numbers that were easily accessible - but no pics or DOB were attached to those. Plus if people had a concern then they could request to be unlisted.

Identify theft is a thing and kids can be an easy target because they don’t typically have a credit history. Granted, in most cases you need a SS# to open credit card accounts, take out loans, etc.
so a question - how does a pic and DOB in addition to the phone book info put someone in any more danger, either physically or financially? What is the risk in your opinion?

Jun 8, 2016
so a question - how does a pic and DOB in addition to the phone book info put someone in any more danger, either physically or financially? What is the risk in your opinion?
To me listing school with a picture is actually the most dangerous..you are listing a location where you will be all day with a fairly predictable time you will be leaving 🤷🏽‍♂️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28