SELF toss...How many of you are having your daughters work this in?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Self toss hitting?

• Yes, we cycle it in.

• Crap, kinda forgot about it.

• Nope, haven't even thought to use it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 26, 2019
Well, a high tee necessitates a flat swing plane, it also doesn't require hip hinge (tilt). For young/beginning players, an upright stance and the common advice to 'swing level', puts them on a path to bat drag. I like to start beginners on an extra low tee, this forces them to keep the barrel up and promotes better posture. I also explain to them that I want them to cut the ball in half on a 45 degree angle. I have a background in golf, which requires a good deal of tilt and an upright swing plane. In golf there is no swing flaw that is equivalent to bat drag.
Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Feb 3, 2023
How many of us didn’t have a bucket of wiffle balls and do self toss all the time as kids??? Hit the bucket, go pick them up, over and over again.

You learn how to toss it high enough to hit with a stride. Hand, eye coordination.

I take my DD to the local high school practice and watch. Their coach hits outfield all day with self toss. I think it’s a lost art with this younger generation. Something about us Gen X’rs and our independence.

Not sure how beneficial it is, just shows the difference in opportunity that is available now versus 30-40 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Little Johnny goes out into the backyard by himself with a bat and ball.
He shouts out, "I'm the greatest hitter in the world!", then tosses the ball up, swings, and misses.
Again, he shouts "I'm the greatest hitter in the world!" tosses, swings and misses again.
A third time he shouts "I'm the greatest hitter in the world!" tosses, swings, and misses.
Johnny pauses, looks around for a moment, then shouts, "Strike three! I'm the greatest pitcher in the world!"

Dec 5, 2017
We have done it for several years now as a warm up. Half the bucket to just loosen up, second half she hits to different locations. Doesn't seem like a waste of much time to me and she likes it. Recently started using it with slapping footwork. Don't know why that didn't occur to me sooner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478