SELF toss...How many of you are having your daughters work this in?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Self toss hitting?

• Yes, we cycle it in.

• Crap, kinda forgot about it.

• Nope, haven't even thought to use it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 8, 2016
I’m interested in the reasoning behind your high tee comment. I see high tee as helping eliminate bat drag. If you drop the bat head and swing “level” the ball is almost certain to be popped up. I have always seen high tee done to help eliminate bat drag and barrel dropping. I’ve never heard anyone say it promotes it. Curious to hear your thoughts or if you have a video example.
Barrel dropping as in how my DD does it..not the dropping towards the catcher which you are talking about..

Oct 26, 2019
Barrel dropping as in how my DD does it..not the dropping towards the catcher which you are talking about..
Ahh gotcha. Side note - The last vid you posted of your dd she flattened the barrel (like you are talking about), but then popped it back up some right before swinging.

Jun 8, 2016
Ahh gotcha. Side note - The last vid you posted of your dd she flattened the barrel (like you are talking about), but then popped it back up some right before swinging.
Yeah.. she is athletic enough to cover her flaws to some extent..for now at least. Probably why I have had such a hard time getting rid of it 😒

Oct 26, 2019
Yeah.. she is athletic enough to cover her flaws to some extent..for now at least. Probably why I have had such a hard time getting rid of it 😒
When peoole are doing well, which she seems to be doing, they rarely want to make changes.

I think I have told this story on here before. I had an 8th grader come to me who was the best player at his age around. I didn’t like the way he hit, but I knew better to change it right away. I was going to wait until he inevitably struggled and fix it then. He led the JV team in hitting as an eighth grader and was All state all 4 years in high school with multiple POY awards. He started in the outfield at UVA and won a national title. I never did get around to fixing his swing…

Jun 8, 2016
When peoole are doing well, which she seems to be doing, they rarely want to make changes.

I think I have told this story on here before. I had an 8th grader come to me who was the best player at his age around. I didn’t like the way he hit, but I knew better to change it right away. I was going to wait until he inevitably struggled and fix it then. He led the JV team in hitting as an eighth grader and was All state all 4 years in high school with multiple POY awards. He started in the outfield at UVA and won a national title. I never did get around to fixing his swing…
Maybe he could have been an All American if you had intervened 😜

Seriously it is a fine line and unfortunately you don’t really know where that line is..Sounds like you “toed” the right side of it..

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
Maybe he could have been an All American if you had intervened 😜

Seriously it is a fine line and unfortunately you don’t really know where that line is..Sounds like you “toed” the right side of it..
Right. You may very well have that same thing with your dd. Hopefully I’m reading about you still complaining about it when she is at Oklahoma.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I’m interested in the reasoning behind your high tee comment. I see high tee as helping eliminate bat drag. If you drop the bat head and swing “level” the ball is almost certain to be popped up. I have always seen high tee done to help eliminate bat drag and barrel dropping. I’ve never heard anyone say it promotes it. Curious to hear your thoughts or if you have a video example.
Well, a high tee necessitates a flat swing plane, it also doesn't require hip hinge (tilt). For young/beginning players, an upright stance and the common advice to 'swing level', puts them on a path to bat drag. I like to start beginners on an extra low tee, this forces them to keep the barrel up and promotes better posture. I also explain to them that I want them to cut the ball in half on a 45 degree angle. I have a background in golf, which requires a good deal of tilt and an upright swing plane. In golf there is no swing flaw that is equivalent to bat drag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802