SELF toss...How many of you are having your daughters work this in?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Self toss hitting?

• Yes, we cycle it in.

• Crap, kinda forgot about it.

• Nope, haven't even thought to use it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jan 25, 2022
If you're doing it right -- and in a way that can actually help you as a hitter -- you should use your bottom hand. I don't think hand dominance matters (I'm right handed. I usually hit infield righty, but I mostly bat lefty whenever I play softball/baseball).

If you do it this way, you can start pre-loaded. You don't really have time to load when tossing it to yourself in any meaningful way. For a lot of hitters who struggle to understand timing and load, pre-loading, tossing out in front (and not needing to do weird stuff with your hands to get them in position), and swinging can help.

I think bottom-hand tossers tend to exhibit more control, too, which is better for actually hitting infield/outfield.

I look like a moron if I don't use my glove hand. I may look like a moron whether I have a bat in hand or not, but still...

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
It's my daughter, turned 12 a few months ago.

I like the self toss as you can work reaction, eye discipline, adjusting to the ball, knowing when to take, hand eye coordination, etc. It's just another tool for us to mix in...Do we do it every time? No, but we include it maybe twice a week, for a bucket either with her instructor or myself when we hit the tunnel work.
I'm sorry, I meant the Trey Hannam one hand swing video.

I looked at the video of your daughter though, and I see a bit of the 'level swing' bat head drop in there. This is a major reason why I don't like to have kids hit off a high tee, it encourages them to drop the bat head (to swing level), and it sometimes leads to 'bat drag'. I would like to see what happens if you ask your daughter to let the ball drop down to 'low strike' level for contact.

One trick I use when watching regular speed video is to go into settings and slow the playback speed down to .25.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I'm sorry, I meant the Trey Hannam one hand swing video.

I looked at the video of your daughter though, and I see a bit of the 'level swing' bat head drop in there. This is a major reason why I don't like to have kids hit off a high tee, it encourages them to drop the bat head (to swing level), and it sometimes leads to 'bat drag'. I would like to see what happens if you ask your daughter to let the ball drop down to 'low strike' level for contact.

One trick I use when watching regular speed video is to go into settings and slow the playback speed down to .25.
I know things can get a little dippy at times on this drill. Because she uses her dominant hand the bat may not always get to the best angle and be dippy...I know Trey likes to use the other hand with this drill but said both hands are used in most cases across instructors, coaches, and whatnot. Mostly use it for reaction, hand eye coordination, body control, ball dicipline for not swinging outside of zone... It's not easy.

Bigger picture, she snaps/slots properly in normal swinging mechanics. Plane and attack angels are very consistent as well from instructor video review and blast info feedback.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
About a million years ago when I was a kid, we played "Indian Ball" at a place we called "Lunker Lake." It was self toss. We did this for hours on end. I have always thought that this helped make me a very good hitter.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
I insist on only hitting live pitchers from exactly regulation distance. Speed and movement MUST be within 5-10% window of what the player will see in the next game. Eyeroll.

I bet if you polled very hitter at Oklahoma, approximately 0% haven't done “destructive drills”.

Simply trying to get folks to realize that this is a destructive drill like most, and to search out helpful drills.

Jun 8, 2016
You are actually swinging and opening your hips (like every video in this thread) vs striding and coiling your hips inward (before the swing). You don't have time to do a proper stride, so you end up butchering your swing.
Which is why I said using a Happy Gilmore version (where you walk into the hit) of self-toss is probably the best IF you are going to do it..

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
You are actually swinging and opening your hips (like every video in this thread) vs striding and coiling your hips inward (before the swing). You don't have time to do a proper stride, so you end up butchering your swing.
There are tons of sound drills in general that do not use full stride or step timing or pre loads, one arm path drills, extension drills, feather light pipe bats, weighted drill work, small bat path work, load rotation work, resistance band loading, medicine ball throw rotations, flatbat work, sequencing, etc. to build key muscle memory in areas of need, or re-inforcement. I guess I'm trying to say, all hit training does not involve step in the box hit pitcher, or step in the box hit front toss / tee as all else will mess with your swing type angle?? IF front toss and tee work is all that's ever done, I do not see how there would be any growth as a hitter long term. As a parent I am working as well as with her trainer, on getting mechanically driven sound work in across all areas now, as to avoid fixing more as she ages up and hits her growth. This has in no way impeded her swing, if anything it's helped her hand eye coordination in the box, as well as eye dicipline and adjusted to ball position...It's just another tool in my opinion. Not the answer to world hunger :p

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802