Seen in a game this weekend.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
@RADcatcher,
I do know all about the fallout of poor umpires, I have worked with my share, I have even BEEN the poor umpire on the field, both when I was new and even now, when I am struggling behind the plate or on the bases. Hopefully, when I struggle now, it means I am missing a couple more pitches and not that I am misapplying rules.
From your viewpoint as an umpire
Please comment more to the impact of lousy umpires.
How does that impact everyones elses perspectives of umpires ?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Please comment more to the impact of lousy umpires.
How does that impact everyones elses perspectives of umpires ?

why should the effort or ability of one umpire affect the respect given to other umpires? Even their partner might be out their working his/her tail off, perhaps even more than normal BECAUSE of the poor umpire they are partnered with, are you saying THOSE umpires should also lose respect because of the bad one? I am not trying to be controversial, but this is like saying ALL cops are bad because of the few that are.

Poor umpires are not good for the game, overall. Poorly kept infields are not good for the game overall. Poor lighting is not good for the game overall. Poor coaching is not good for the game overall.

Are you going to say ALL infields, lights and coaches are poor because of the few in each category that are? If not, then why do it with umpires?

Would you rather your DD had a crappy field to play on, one that needs some work and will get up to snuff eventually, or that she not be able to play at all? Same with lights and coaches. Would you accept a poor coach and work on getting him /her better or fold the team and lose the chance to play at all?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Poor umpires are not good for the game, overall.

Poorly kept infields are not good for the game overall. Poor lighting is not good for the game overall. Poor coaching is not good for the game overall.

Are you going to say ALL infields, lights and coaches are poor because of the few in each category that are? If not, then why do it with umpires?

Would you rather your DD had a crappy field to play on, one that needs some work and will get up to snuff eventually, or that she not be able to play at all? Same with lights and coaches. Would you accept a poor coach and work on getting him /her better or fold the team and lose the chance to play at all?
is there anything in the rulebook that addresses what the umpire should do when they get a rule wrong on the field during the game when that happens?
You know when a coach points it out...

Feb 13, 2021
MI
When they get a rule wrong? Yes, there is.

USSSA:

RULE 13. PROTEST Sec 1. Umpires will work to settle all problems on the field. Protests from the offended team will be allowed for rule interpretations and Player eligibility only.
Sec 3. The Plate Umpire shall suspend all action and notify the Tournament Officials of any protest. Tournament officials and the UIC will rule on all protests and their decision will be final.
Sec 4. Rule interpretation protests must be declared to the Plate Umpire before the next pitch following the dispute. No rule interpretation protest will be allowed once the Umpires have left the field at the end of the game. In tournament play, all rule interpretations protests must be settled, before any play can be resumed.

Other codes are similar though precise wording may vary.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Haha not how to protest...

Rather
when the Umpire makes a ruling on the field and the coach walks up and says no I think you got that rule wrong and the Umpire goes oh my gosh you're right I did get it wrong.

is there anything in the rule book that tells the umpire
~just overturn your own call~ and make it right during the game?

Or
Is that just a sensible thing to do thats not in the rule book?
Out of the sincere principle of acknowledging a mistake in the moment.

Hmmm maybe just ask everyone
Should an umpire admit they are wrong during a game?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
RULE 13. PROTEST Sec 1. Umpires will work to settle all problems on the field.

You get with your partner, make sure you get the rule right, then you take what action is needed to rectify anything that you did incorrectly.

Umpires hate having to mark up protests. Even more, we have having protests upheld. We will do anything in our power to keep from having it happen.

I pointed out the whole rule so that you also realized there is a time frame involved. You can't come back next batter, or next inning and want me to change what happened earlier.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You get with your partner, make sure you get the rule right, then you take what action is needed to rectify anything that you did incorrectly.

Umpires hate having to mark up protests. Even more, we have having protests upheld. We will do anything in our power to keep from having it happen.

I pointed out the whole rule so that you also realized there is a time frame involved. You can't come back next batter, or next inning and want me to change what happened earlier.
Really reffering to the human element involved that everyone makes a mistake once in a while.

The rulebook may not have verbage to identify for some umpires
(who may need it in writing ;) )
that
its ok to overturn your own mistake in a game.

Probably better to do so than create bad ruling myths and leave behind discrepancies.
?!?!

Aug 25, 2019
I agree the parents, coaches, and players harassing umpires is a problem, but it a reaction to the bigger problem. The situation would be much better if there were actually trained umpires who knew how to do the job. We play some better run tournaments where the umpires are hand picked and everyone is spot on. But when we play those smaller local tournaments, most of those guys suck.

I think that as much money as the alphabets are making off of travel ball, they have to invest some of it back into the game. I have heard here many times from you umpires that there is no/little training. If the alphabets are sanctioning the umpires, then they need to put some work into them to make sure they know the rules and how to call a game.

I hate hearing the "money is killing the game" argument, but in this case it is going to. I think that the fix has to start higher than the umpires, fans, and coaches. The tools have to be given to the umpires to do their jobs, then there has to be evaluation of performance. Improve the umpires and the rest will get better (I hope).
You're right about this, brother!.......I started umpiring two years ago for USSSA. I was given (paid for) 4 four hour classes on rules, a bit of mechanics, then that was it. I never stepped on a field in class, first pitch I ever saw was in a game (thankfully a rec game). Since then the only communcation I've had with the organization (besides being assigned games) is when I'm gonna pay the $200 yearly fee (on top of the 10% they take from each game). There is no organization training or clinics or anything (and if there was, you can be sure they'd make us pay for it) What I'm saying is to be a better umpire, you have to be self motivated, and many aren't for various reasons, not enough time, till working, or just plain lazy. I've read both USSSA and USA rule books at least 10 times each, and there are still plenty of rules I'll miss (there is alot). There is no incentive to be a better umpire. At least in school ball we are rated for performance, the better you are, the higher games you do, the more you are paid.

May 16, 2012
Missouri
I agree the parents, coaches, and players harassing umpires is a problem, but it a reaction to the bigger problem. The situation would be much better if there were actually trained umpires who knew how to do the job. We play some better run tournaments where the umpires are hand picked and everyone is spot on. But when we play those smaller local tournaments, most of those guys suck.

I think that as much money as the alphabets are making off of travel ball, they have to invest some of it back into the game. I have heard here many times from you umpires that there is no/little training. If the alphabets are sanctioning the umpires, then they need to put some work into them to make sure they know the rules and how to call a game.

I hate hearing the "money is killing the game" argument, but in this case it is going to. I think that the fix has to start higher than the umpires, fans, and coaches. The tools have to be given to the umpires to do their jobs, then there has to be evaluation of performance. Improve the umpires and the rest will get better (I hope).
I have never received an eval of my umpiring performance in 18 years of umpiring. Not travel, not HS, n

May 4, 2016
Here is my big concern this is a new organization and they assign one clearly inexperienced easily influenced umpire behind the plate for all five bracket games for 18A. There is no excuse for that I understand that there is an umpire shortage and in our area where there used to just be two organizations holding tournaments there are now 4. But at least put the best umpire you have doing 18A and put this ump in 8C so she can learn.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478