Seen in a game this weekend.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Frustrating, yes, I get that. But a bad bounce from a ball hitting a rock is frustrating as well. A 30 MPH gust of wind blowing in just as DD hits a warning track shot is frustrating. The umpires ARE part of the conditions of the game, they can be frustrating.

Again, I am not exonerating bad judgment nor am I saying umpires not knowing the rules and mechanics is justifiable. I am saying that the bad breaks go both ways (unless you truly have evidence of a vendetta against your DD or her team). They tend to even out, just like the seeing eye, pool-cue shot off the end of the bat that manages to get through the infield for an RBI single' evens out.

There is a dire shortage of sports officials in the country, all levels, all sports. Would you rather have a poor umpire that stinks it up for both teams and, yes, frustrates the bejeezus out of HC, parent and DD alike (and guess what, it frustrates their partner just as much if not moreso, because we also have to deal with the fallout and we can get lumped in as part of 'that horrible crew we had last weekend') or have no game at all because there isn't an umpire available?

I will say it again, I AM NOT EXONERATING POOR OFFICIATING. But until the number of officials increases, it is a situation that will take time and training to rectify. Recruit officials, take on the task yourself, give the new/poor umpires the chance to improve and learn, these are the tools YOU have to help us all get the pool of umpires larger and better, something that we ALL want.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
IF there is a lack of umpires...
It is zero excuse to being a lousy umpire.

Because there are many long term lousy umpires who have already dug the hole for umpires.
For some in the crowd,
Respect is earned, not a given.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
IF there is a lack of umpires...
It is zero excuse to being a lousy umpire.
No 'IF' involved, there is, just look at the number of registered officials in any area, they are down dramatically.

I agree there is zero excuse. But there are reasons. The question is how do we all deal with it. Expecting umpires to improve overnight or to start out their first game perfect is a pipe dream. Haranguing them will just either make them quit or dig in their heels and fight any attempt to get them better (we ARE people after all and this is part of human nature). Neither of these outcomes is desirable.

And yes, respect is always earned, but you can respect the effort and desire to umpire even while withholding respect for the quality of that effort and desire. Show the former and work on improving the latter.

Because there are many long term lousy umpires who have already dug the hole for umpires.

This sounds like you are condemning all umpires because of the poor ones, I know (hope) that isn't the case, RADCatcher, but just pointing it out.

Jul 22, 2015
Depends on the situation; if the umpire is in perfect position and has all the elements of the play in front of them; you might as well stay where you are. If the umpire is in position, can see the ball, the runner, the plate and the fielder, then they have all the elements to make the call.

If you think there is an element they missed - you politely come out, say something they can check on - "I believe your view of the tag was blocked, can you see if your partner had a better angle' if true is a good one. "Runner never made the bag" is also a good one. "I believe the runner touched the bag with her outside foot and you were blocked from seeing that" might be a good one. "Your angle makes it difficult for you to see a pulled foot" is a very good one. These all say that the judgment call didn't have all the information needed to make the call.

"You got it wrong"... REALLY not a good one. "The tag was high" not a good one. "She beat the tag or throw " or "She already touched the bag" not good ones. Just saying "Can you check with your partner" is also a terrible one - because I am going to ask "What would you like me to check with my partner on" because I need to hear the element I was missing so I can get any additional information they may have on that element.

You HAVE TO give the umpire a legitimate element of the play that they couldn't see and take into account - that you just saw the call differently to the umpire is not enough.
If you coach and didn't read this closely then you need to. This perfectly describes what I have learned from coaching, and now from umpiring. If you approach an umpire with an actual element of the call that could be in question they will generally ask for help. If you approach and essentially say, "You're wrong, ask for another opinion" then you probably won't get far.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
I agree the parents, coaches, and players harassing umpires is a problem, but it a reaction to the bigger problem. The situation would be much better if there were actually trained umpires who knew how to do the job. We play some better run tournaments where the umpires are hand picked and everyone is spot on. But when we play those smaller local tournaments, most of those guys suck.

I think that as much money as the alphabets are making off of travel ball, they have to invest some of it back into the game. I have heard here many times from you umpires that there is no/little training. If the alphabets are sanctioning the umpires, then they need to put some work into them to make sure they know the rules and how to call a game.

I hate hearing the "money is killing the game" argument, but in this case it is going to. I think that the fix has to start higher than the umpires, fans, and coaches. The tools have to be given to the umpires to do their jobs, then there has to be evaluation of performance. Improve the umpires and the rest will get better (I hope).

May 4, 2016
I will suggest 2 reasons for this, one is umpires aren't working due to Covid. Any takers on guessing the other? (pssst, it isn't because all umpires suddenly want to take a day trip to zoo).

If coaches, parents, and players want to do something about the lack of umpires then they can start by acting like they appreciate them (yes, even the bad ones, without them there will not be games). They can also get out there and umpire themselves or work to recruit new umpires. You girls playing 16u and 18u, get out there and work 12u and under games. Parents, I am sure you know someone who used to play, or officiates other sports. Coaches, contact your past players.

My DD is she is umpiring 10u-14u for local parks and rec

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
No 'IF' involved, there is, just look at the number of registered officials in any area, they are down dramatically.

I agree there is zero excuse. But there are reasons. The question is how do we all deal with it. Expecting umpires to improve overnight or to start out their first game perfect is a pipe dream. Haranguing them will just either make them quit or dig in their heels and fight any attempt to get them better (we ARE people after all and this is part of human nature). Neither of these outcomes is desirable.

And yes, respect is always earned, but you can respect the effort and desire to umpire even while withholding respect for the quality of that effort and desire. Show the former and work on improving the latter.

This sounds like you are condemning all umpires because of the poor ones, I know (hope) that isn't the case, RADCatcher, but just pointing it out.
Edlovrich
i posted a reasoning to a discussion point.
-Unfortunetly lousy umpires have dug a hole for other umpires.
Therefore respect is earned.

That point for some reason you want to ignor? or not apply? the ramifications and reprecussions of lousy people being lousy umpires.
(you may not make excuse for them but their fallout is real)

There is a difference between effort to do a good job...which can deserve respect.
And an rear who could care less about the professionalism you speak highly of.

Pardon the bluntness in my response. :)

Feb 13, 2021
MI
@RADcatcher, I am not ignoring the respect is earned portion of your comment, In fact, I think I addressed part of it.

I question this, why should the effort or ability of one umpire affect the respect given to other umpires? Even their partner might be out their working his/her tail off, perhaps even more than normal BECAUSE of the poor umpire they are partnered with, are you saying THOSE umpires should also lose respect because of the bad one? I am not trying to be controversial, but this is like saying ALL cops are bad because of the few that are.

I do speak of professionalism. I expect it from myself, I hope for it from my partners and I work to instill in anyone I come into contact with. As I sit here monitoring and responding to these threads, I am also polishing shoes, reviewing situations I had this past weekend and going over rules differences because I have a baseball DH this afternoon as opposed to the softball games I had this weekend and I expect myself to not confuse the rules.

Respect is always earned, if it is simply given it isn't worth a bucket of warm spit. But, respect the effort that even a poor umpire makes to get out there and deal with everything umpires have to deal with. Respect that and give them the opportunity to improve, you don't necessarily know how long they have been umpiring, this might be there first game ever. Do you want that umpire to just throw in the towel and never do another one?

I do know all about the fallout of poor umpires, I have worked with my share, I have even BEEN the poor umpire on the field, both when I was new and even now, when I am struggling behind the plate or on the bases. Hopefully, when I struggle now, it means I am missing a couple more pitches and not that I am misapplying rules.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I think that as much money as the alphabets are making off of travel ball, they have to invest some of it back into the game. I have heard here many times from you umpires that there is no/little training. If the alphabets are sanctioning the umpires, then they need to put some work into them to make sure they know the rules and how to call a game.

Yep, this is my opinion as well. There is basically zero investment in umpires by any of the orgs. Even when they do something, in most cases they expect the umpire to pay for the entire cost of training and it will be in very few locations. Most orgs don't even have their own umpire exams - instead relying on NFHS's open exam as 'training' - or just not caring (anyone can be a USSSA umpire - there are no actual requirements beyond registering and that isn't 100% enforced)

I have been told multiple time they don't want to invest in an umpire and then 'lose' them to a different org.
USSSA will tell you there isn't enough umpires, so the less barriers they put in the way to just get someone on the field, the better.

We would love to pair an experienced umpire with newer/learning umpires, but there are SO many games, it is close to impossible to do that as well.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Part of the issue is, as well, that of expectations, both legitimate and otherwise. Umpires at the lower levels are just not going to be as good as those art higher levels. This is because the better umpires are the ones getting the assignments to the higher levels.

This isn't to say that umpires at the higher levels think they are 'too good' to work younger ball, or even rec ball. There are only so many dates in a season and LOTS of games that need to be covered.

I ran across a youtube post the other day that I will link below. It is about an MLB call so disregard the ruling and such (unless you are into balks) but rather pay attention to the critique of NY Yankees announcer David Cone and how the words and attitudes of announcers can and does affect how umpires at lower levels are treated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog