Screwball Video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
Even at top levels you would be hard pressed to find many pitchers that have more than two different effective pitches.
But 2 is twice as many as 1. It would be so nice to only worry about having 1 pitch. Simplifies things tremendously.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
But 2 is twice as many as 1. It would be so nice to only worry about having 1 pitch. Simplifies things tremendously.
IMO from watching my DD and her teamates thru the years, a pitcher must have at least 2 pitches. Call it one pitch, but there needs to be a change of speed pitch. So if you can throw a drop, and then a drop 15% slower, that is a significant benefit to the pitcher. Obviously with any pitch or pitcher, to hit their marks is critical, but if all you have to worry about is your reaction to location as a hitter, you are better off than worrying about location and speed. If beyond that a pitcher can throw in a change of elevation, ie, drop and a rise, that IMO is the trifecta of what a pitcher needs in their quiver. If you can tunnel them to look the same half way there, then you will be very effective. But fast and slow initially, then one more with elevation change to top it off. I am one that believes a rise ball doesn't need to be a true rise to be effective. If you can throw a bullet spin 'fastball' that drops less than your drop ball, you are effectively doing a similar thing, maybe not to the most ideal degree, but it can still be effective if the hitter is expecting the ball to drop. A screwball to me in what most pitchers say they throw, is just a 'normal' pitch started at a different location on the mound.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

Just my opinion. But, pitchers need to have a FB (traditional or drop; whatever) and an off speed (change-up). Having a rise is great as a third option but only as a third.

The change up can be practiced without the FB being “perfect”. Since nothing is ever perfect all of the time. But, the mechanics in the change up are the same as the FB. The release is just different. So while she’s working on her changeup she’s also working on the consistency of her mechanics.

“We are always working” DD’s PC will say.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Straight level pitches get racked.
💥BOOOOOOOOM

Pitch comes out of pitchers hand as a strike...stays on same straight path...easy visual on it then
💥RIP CITY

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
IMO from watching my DD and her teamates thru the years, a pitcher must have at least 2 pitches. Call it one pitch, but there needs to be a change of speed pitch. So if you can throw a drop, and then a drop 15% slower, that is a significant benefit to the pitcher. Obviously with any pitch or pitcher, to hit their marks is critical, but if all you have to worry about is your reaction to location as a hitter, you are better off than worrying about location and speed. If beyond that a pitcher can throw in a change of elevation, ie, drop and a rise, that IMO is the trifecta of what a pitcher needs in their quiver. If you can tunnel them to look the same half way there, then you will be very effective. But fast and slow initially, then one more with elevation change to top it off. I am one that believes a rise ball doesn't need to be a true rise to be effective. If you can throw a bullet spin 'fastball' that drops less than your drop ball, you are effectively doing a similar thing, maybe not to the most ideal degree, but it can still be effective if the hitter is expecting the ball to drop. A screwball to me in what most pitchers say they throw, is just a 'normal' pitch started at a different location on the mound.
This has always been mind mindset. Have 3 pitches. Drop, rise, change. But that's 3 times more than 1. I got real interested thinking you only had to have 1 pitch. If you could spend 100% of your bullpens on only one pitch instead of splitting it 3 ways, think about the possibilities.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This has always been mind mindset. Have 3 pitches. Drop, rise, change. But that's 3 times more than 1. I got real interested thinking you only had to have 1 pitch. If you could spend 100% of your bullpens on only one pitch instead of splitting it 3 ways, think about the possibilities.
Can spend time on one pitch.
Say same grip and spin.
Definitely need to split that time targeting locations.

Pending that chosen one pitch 'could' be limiting ability to throw at multiple locations.
So
Every Pitcher should have a change up or heavily
off-speed moving pitch.
Which would mean Every pitcher should have atleast two pitches.
Then
Controling location multiplies effectiveness!

That said screwball is a limited pitch as far as location. Righty throws it inside to a righty. (because of its trajectory and spin direction to throw to opposite side of plate would bring it fat over the plate)
Where as rise or drop can be thrown both in and out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse